Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prestige downgrade to Premier

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prestige downgrade to Premier

I was wondering if it's difficult to PC the Prestige to Premier.  My AF comes up in October so I'd like to do it soon.  I wouldn't get the bonus on a new app so I'm fine with the PC.

I like the new categories starting August 23 and was wondering if I should wait until after the 23rd to PC for those categories or does the forum think if I downgrade, I'll be stuck with the old categories (no 3x on groceries and restaurants).

TY

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Prestige downgrade to Premier

I've not been following the various bonus categories closely since I gave up on TYs in 2018 (PCing Prestige to DC), but Citi is generally flexible with PCs once a card is a year old. Unless policies change, I see no difficult in PCing from Prestige to Premier.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

There would be no problems at all downgrading.  Being "stuck" with the old categories is not a possibility.  Everyone's getting changed, even those of us that prefer the original structure.  You can do the PC very quickly on the phone.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you,

if they change my account number, will that add a new account to my credit report?

Message 4 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Your account number wouldn't change in this instance, but even if it did it would just replace the existing one on your credit reports with the same history.

Message 5 of 12
furthur
Regular Contributor

Should be very easy to do. A couple days ago I was able to PC my Citi AAdvantage Platinum to the Rewards+, through online chat and it took less than 10 minutes. My account number is changing though. I've heard mixed reports of if it becomes a new account, I certainly hope not though.

Message 6 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Can the Prestige travel credit be used for Uber Cash? I know it can be used for groceries and dining in 2020.

I'm mulling over the idea of getting one for the 50k SUB and picking up the 2020 and 2021 travel credits to offset the AF.

I PCed in May or June 2018 so it's been over 24 months.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey KinBoston,

I know you said my account wouldn't be affected if I changed from Prestige to Premier.

if I decided to do Prestige to double cash and they change my account number that way, do you think I'd keep the same credit history on my reports as well?  I've been gardening for 8 months and wouldn't want to mess it up.  Thx!

Message 8 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The only times I have heard of Citi changing card numbers is for moving to/from Costco (it is a Visa whereas most Citi cards are MasterCard products) and sometimes with airline cards.  I don't believe anything would change in regards to how the card is reporting, but it's always a good idea to clarify that when doing a product change.  No matter what, the card should inherit its full history.

Message 9 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

The only times I have heard of Citi changing card numbers is for moving to/from Costco (it is a Visa whereas most Citi cards are MasterCard products) and sometimes with airline cards.  I don't believe anything would change in regards to how the card is reporting, but it's always a good idea to clarify that when doing a product change.  No matter what, the card should inherit its full history.

I could be wrong but I believe that when I pc'd from a prestige to a double cash it changed my numbers. It was a few years back though.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.