Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime card possibilties?

tag
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Re: Prime card possibilties?

Putting things in best light I'll assume by PR you mean Permanent Resident. Even in that case I would wait until all your accounts are at least one year-old. You will be attractive to better issuers that way. I say this in spite of the fact that I have applied for and received three new cards (three for three)in the last three+ months - the difference being I also presented a case where I have multiple other open accounts on my CR's that are nine+ years old. Things like that matter to prime issuers.

Prepare for your upcoming app's by trying for CLI's with your existing issuers.
Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, thanks to Fused and his/her handy dandy links, I gave BoA a whirl. Got "preapproved" for 3 different cards, one being an Amex! (Needless to say I shrieked in fear and ran from that one.) I took a shot at one of the other ones offered and got the "Stew on it for a few weeks, sister!" reply.

I figured that was that, so imagine my surprise when I received a SW alert citing a new BoA account with a 1,500 limit 2 days later! Granted, I haven't heard anything from BoA themselves so I'm hoping it's not some weird coincidence or cosmic joke on me. Nevertheless, I'm excited and delighted at (maybe) my first prime!

Any advice on what BoA likes/dislikes about their card usage or pitfalls I should avoid when handling them? Obviously I plan to PIF and never be late but any other advice would be appreciated.

Oh, I also went with that WaMu preapproval I mentioned earlier up-thread (I know, I know, but I couldn't resist and the Pfico would be cool. I'm lame, I realize.) I haven't heard a peep from them after they also gave me a "stew, sister!" response. Any ideas about that?

Getting dinged for a new inquiry and account sort of smarts a bit. Do these things rebound quickly or no?
Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jmbfl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous someone help me out with this too. My situation is that I am a new PR and only have an 18 month old credit history. I have 2 new accounts (3 and 6 months old) and 2 that are about 1 1/2 years old. Is my credit history too short to qualify for lets say a Discover on the road card or a decent Citi card? I'm pretty sure my FICO will be @ least 700 within the next few weeks, but I don't want to apply for something I can't get.

"...I am a new PR..." - what do you mean by that? In our parlance PR = Public Record and that is never good. Please clarify.

Permanent Resident (aka Green Card holder), I'd guess. In much the same new-GC-holding boat as me and my 16 months of credit history! Smiley Happy

Edit... ah, you figured it out!

And to siang... I don't know about Discover (well, what I do know about them is that they turned me down, so...), but I managed to get an AmEx (gold Delta SkyMiles) when my credit history was a mere 7 or so months old (it had Macy's, US Bank Secured, and a brand new Capital One Platinum showing on it at the time). Depends on scores (I'd guess my FICOs were mid-600s when I apped for the AmEx) and how many inqs you have, etc, of course, but... there are definitely prime-y CCCs out there that will give you a shot with a short history if it's all clean. AmEx might be a good bet if you don't have tons of inquiries (not sure if that would scare them off), especially if your scores are in the 700-ish range. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by fevmlo on 08-10-2008 06:16 PM
Message 13 of 32
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well, thanks to Fused and his/her handy dandy links, I gave BoA a whirl. Got "preapproved" for 3 different cards, one being an Amex! (Needless to say I shrieked in fear and ran from that one.) I took a shot at one of the other ones offered and got the "Stew on it for a few weeks, sister!" reply.

I figured that was that, so imagine my surprise when I received a SW alert citing a new BoA account with a 1,500 limit 2 days later! Granted, I haven't heard anything from BoA themselves so I'm hoping it's not some weird coincidence or cosmic joke on me. Nevertheless, I'm excited and delighted at (maybe) my first prime!

Any advice on what BoA likes/dislikes about their card usage or pitfalls I should avoid when handling them? Obviously I plan to PIF and never be late but any other advice would be appreciated.

Oh, I also went with that WaMu preapproval I mentioned earlier up-thread (I know, I know, but I couldn't resist and the Pfico would be cool. I'm lame, I realize.) I haven't heard a peep from them after they also gave me a "stew, sister!" response. Any ideas about that?

Getting dinged for a new inquiry and account sort of smarts a bit. Do these things rebound quickly or no?

BOA LOVES heavy usage and PIF.
Here we go again...
Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, so using them right off the bat would be a good thing? I don't have any big purchases I need to make any time soon but I could give my poor debit card a break and throw some love BoA's way with everyday purchases, if it would make them happy. Oh, and PIF, of course. Er, when I eventually get the card, that is. Smiley Wink

Now, if only WaMu would put me out of my curious misery. Anyone know how long they take to either congratulate or deny you? The not knowing is grating!
Message 15 of 32
GFer
Valued Contributor

WaMu sent me a card as a way of an answer two weeks later.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ha, that's hilarious, GFer. I thought a rejection letter would arrive quicker than a card, so my chances are looking up I guess! What kind of CL did they give you?
Message 17 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Mystic0 wrote:
Ah, so using them right off the bat would be a good thing? I don't have any big purchases I need to make any time soon but I could give my poor debit card a break and throw some love BoA's way with everyday purchases, if it would make them happy. Oh, and PIF, of course. Er, when I eventually get the card, that is. Smiley Wink

Now, if only WaMu would put me out of my curious misery. Anyone know how long they take to either congratulate or deny you? The not knowing is grating!

Congrats! You'll soon find out how generous BoA is.
Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:
Congrats! You'll soon find out how generous BoA is.

Hey, thank *you*, Fused! You gave me the nudge that I needed to take a shot at them in the first place. My Orchard card will soon hate your guts, though. Smiley Wink

So BoA can be pretty generous? That'll be a refreshing change!
Message 19 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Which card did you get? Did they pull EX, or do you even know?
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.