Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primeville?

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Primeville?

PNC, Chase, FIA, and Citi. Chase may be the best since their sign up bonuses are always the best. I would hate to get blacklisted by them. PNC is a close second with their 1.75% cashback. All the ones I mentioned have very good customer service and nice cards for different people.

Message 11 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend to think of subprime cards as cards that aren't ends in themselves, but are a means to the ends of established credit, better scores, and better credit cards.  So prime cards would be cards that are an end in themselves, cards that you get because you want the direct benefits and rewards of that specific card.

Message 12 of 67
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I hate the word "prime" as some sort of credit card or lender measuring stick.  It really isn't Smiley Happy.

For every lender mentioned I can give examples cards which can be obtained by sub-prime borrowers, by any of the classical definitions of sub-prime.  With the fact that pretty much everyone who's a prime borrower has a credit card if they want one, and as a result it's red-water competition in that market space, all the lenders recently have been doing a race to the bottom, or some financial form of the limbo, to try to get new customers in the boat where there are folks who weren't in their historical portfolio.

For a few examples: Freedoms can be obtained by the majority of the folks with one year clean and a FICO in the 620-630 range since June and sometimes without even going through Chase's vaunted recon at 640+.  Another one, BOFA, whose 1-2-3 rewards was an entry package for prime borrowers even a year or two ago, put it on their secured card of all things.  People with much higher FICO's than mine still have those cards and are using them well, and yet I've got the same reward package.

I personally think that credit cards shouldn't be used for any sort of measurement of self-worth, not only is it an inconsistent standard by most measurements, it's a pretty empty one too in my opinion.  Every one of my cards is technically a subprime product as I'm a subprime consumer, and I'm just fine with that... and I could absolutely get a Chase card too if I desired for that matter too to add to both my BOFA and Amex cards.  Short of Penfed and I'm starting to doubt this looking at their recent auto-loan underwriting standards, I can't name a single other well known lender (at least on these forums) that isn't catering to subprime borrowers.

End of the day, if the card works for you, then it's a good card.  If it doesn't, then it should be re-evaluated or replaced when possible.  That's all the matters honestly.  

Edit: I have become way too sloppy over time, missing whole words even.  Tried to fix.

        
Message 13 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it works for you and does what you need it to, it's prime. My prime isn't someone else's prime. I'm completely content right now with my new Discover and USAA. Happy to have our feet in the door with Chase. I know there are cards and limits WAAAAAY better than mine, but mine work for me.

When I finish my MBA and am making better money, my perception if "prime" will probably change. I'll probably want a Citi or AMEX, and consider those better than what I have now. We'll see.

Message 14 of 67
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

No AF with rewards. Great customer service is a major+

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 15 of 67
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

it seems like everyone has their own thoughts on this. i think for me its chase amex boa discover. or any other card i wanted and never got. for me all my cards MUST have rewards. although i do have AMEX with AF but amex CSR is awesome and it forces me to pay it off every month. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 16 of 67
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

No AF with rewards. Great customer service is a major+

+1

The AF thing is really important.  I know some ppl try to justify the AF by saying if the rewards will make back the AF.

Make Back?!  Really??

If there wasn't an AF to begin with, then you would have even Moreee rewards left over.

But I can see their aruguments, I just don't belive its worth it.

So IMO, prime MUST, and I mean MUST not have any AF.

Message 17 of 67
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

I like my amex it doesnt bother me it has af cap1 does
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 18 of 67
jnkp2001
Regular Contributor

A card with low interest rates would be prime for me......

FICO EQ: 633 8/15/12
lender pulled 11/3/12 EQ 661 TU 650 EX598
credit Karma 674 credit sesame: 663
B/K discharged 2/2006......closed 8/2012

May your limits be high and your balances low!

Message 19 of 67
HiLine
Blogger

For personal credit cards, roughly:

Tier 1: Any airlines- or hotel-sponsored cards, most Amex-issued cards, and any other cards that have an annual fee close to or above $100.

Tier 2: Cards with the most generous cash back rewards without an annual fee: Discover More, Chase Freedom, U.S. Bank Cash+, Blue Cash Everyday, etc.

Tier 3: Most other travel rewards cards

Message 20 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.