Not applicable

Probably too many cards

Hello everyone,

Here is the interesting yet reckless situation at the moment;

Here is a rough idea:

Jan 2016  - 580 600 595

- then over past 2 months, paid 2 or 3 col accounts for deletion

Mar 2016 - 620 600 650

Trying to buy a house (FHA) which requires 580 but I'm trying to get something else with it and I need a 650, so I paid off 2 bad accts on the 620 bureau which brought me up to 712.

By early april I have/had 600 eq 650 tu 712 ex. Got the pre-approval on the home loan. (I have 90 days to close on something before they need to repull my credit)

Currently I am shopping.

In the meantime -- Made a mistake and found this forum. Went on a app binge over the past 2 weeks and now have gotten:

*Not in any chronological order*

Denials:

Citi - decl

Bank of America - decl

Wells - decl

Amex - decl (bl)

US Bank amex - decl

Few other cards were declined (2-3 more)

Approvals: 

Space Coast Credit Union - $1000 (EXP)

Discover IT - $500 (TU)

Chase -  $1000 (denied initially, recon'd to chk EXP)

Cap1 QuickSilver - $1000 (TU)

Barclayscard - $1400 (instant EXP)

Home Depot - $5000 (instant EXP, chose bureau over phone)

Amazon Store - $1700 (Instant, today)

Walmart Store - $1400 (had to call to verify, instant, today)

Amex decl due to being BL but this was about 7 years ago. Called for a recon and its been "In Progress" since last night and today, I doub't it going anywhere.

Refinanced from a 13% loan to a 6% loan through Space Coast Credit Union. So this will result in a paid off loan and a new loan with lower APR. (yay, lower payments!)

Most of this occured this past week and this week.

Now I know I hurt my scores really bad over the past 2 weeks and probably need to garden for the next 6 m - 1 yr.

My goal is to build my credit up but maybe not with 15-20 cards. Too much to keep up with.

Any suggestions or tips welcome. 

29 REPLIES 29
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Probably too many cards

I'd garden and grow the cards. Give your scores a chance to rise and stay steady to keep yourself from looking like too much of a risk. Your scores jumoed when paying the baddies off, so now you want to be able to capitalize on that, rather then slide back down. In no time things will look even better!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

With all of the new account being listed at once, how badly did your score drop (or has it even had a chance yet...)? I have done some of what you are doing but nothing has been reported except the inquiries.

Message 3 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

Trying to buy a house (FHA) which requires 580 but I'm trying to get something else with it and I need a 650, so I paid off 2 bad accts on the 620 bureau which brought me up to 712.

By early april I have/had 600 eq 650 tu 712 ex. Got the pre-approval on the home loan. (I have 90 days to close on something before they need to repull my credit)

Currently I am shopping. For a house

Write this on a 3x5 card and tape it to your bathroom mirror. Stay focused on this. It may take your mind off all the cards you apped. House Shopping, and then home closing, done right, takes up all your free time.

If you can close on the house while the preapproval is open, that's good.

Are they going to have to check your credit just prior to closing?

Congratulations on the new cards. Most are good cards to have, although it would have been better to not step in front of the firehose just now Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

The mortgage co. will ask if you have obtained new credit since pre approval... and will typically recheck your credit before closing. and they will definitely not like all the new accts.

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing hasn't really been reported. As of today, my EQ @ 639 according to MyFico v8. Others not updated. Alerts show -5 up to -7 but +10 up to +15 for the new accounts. 

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to the lender, they if we close within 90 days of the preapproval, they will not repull credit. Usually shopping for a home and the closing process 30-45 days can cause one to go past the 90 days which will warrant the recertification of credit. I've already have offers submitted and actively looking to close on something soon.  I'll let you all know how it goes over the next few weeks.

Message 7 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

Currently I am shopping. For a house

Write this on a 3x5 card and tape it to your bathroom mirror. Stay focused on this. It may take your mind off all the cards you apped. House Shopping, and then home closing, done right, takes up all your free time.

If you can close on the house while the preapproval is open, that's good.

Are they going to have to check your credit just prior to closing?

Congratulations on the new cards. Most are good cards to have, although it would have been better to not step in front of the firehose just now Smiley Happy

+100

Keep in mind that if anything goes wrong and your lender has to change you from FHA to conventional, another credit pull (closer to closing) will likely be required. 

I've been through the process four times, both FHA and conventional, so trust me... sometimes things happenSmiley Wink

That being said, congrats on your new cards.  I would definitely hold off on any other apps until after your closing, though.  grandpa.gif

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I am having a panic attack for you!  In July, we bought a home and went the FHA route.  We did our preapproval and were told the same thing and it wasn't a lie.  They didn't do another HP................. BUT they do a soft pull before closing just to make sure nothing has changed and that the credit score can still support the loan terms.    Our loan officer specifically told us, do NOT apply for any credit cards, do NOT acquire any loans, buy a car, NOTHING until you close.  I truly hope this hasn't caused any issues for you.

Message 9 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I am having a panic attack for you!  In July, we bought a home and went the FHA route.  We did our preapproval and were told the same thing and it wasn't a lie.  They didn't do another HP................. BUT they do a soft pull before closing just to make sure nothing has changed and that the credit score can still support the loan terms.    Our loan officer specifically told us, do NOT apply for any credit cards, do NOT acquire any loans, buy a car, NOTHING until you close.  I truly hope this hasn't caused any issues for you.

+1

Since you mention it, I'll share that my first mortgage actually fell-through a week before closing.  It was FHA, and the 'last minute' credit pull detected a 30-day late that previously wasn't there (it was a loan I had cosigned for). 

So, literally a week before the scheduled closing (we even already had the appointment set with the attorney), my broker had to re-do my loan as 'conventional', and my APR went up a full 1%, making my house payment go up nearly $200.  While I was thrilled to be able to still get my house, I was not pleased (at all) with the circumstances.

I'm not sure if it's my age or just past bad luck, but I'm extremely cautious now anytime I'm within sight of a new mortgage. 

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.