Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prod. Change-Store Card to Visa, MC, Disc.. etc Questions

tag
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Prod. Change-Store Card to Visa, MC, Disc.. etc Questions

The reason I chose these cards is b/c they can upgrade to a major CC at some point: Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Sears, Pay-Pal SC (from what I've read on here-not to optimistic about this one) BP/Chase reg. gas card. My questions are:

!. Which of these are automatically offered by the issuer after a certain length of time? (with a good CR of course)

2. Which do you have to REQUEST an upgrade

3. If you request an upgrade, which are SP or HP

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Prod. Change-Store Card to Visa, MC, Disc.. etc Questions

Walmart is by invitation only if initially not approved.
After the upgrade, no HP but will be a new TL
Message 2 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

The reason I chose these cards is b/c they can upgrade to a major CC at some point: Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Sears, Pay-Pal SC (from what I've read on here-not to optimistic about this one) BP/Chase reg. gas card. My questions are:

!. Which of these are automatically offered by the issuer after a certain length of time? (with a good CR of course)

2. Which do you have to REQUEST an upgrade

3. If you request an upgrade, which are SP or HP

+1 to what Lexie mentioned above about the WalMart CC.

Best Buy is not upgradable to MC - you have to apply separately (Citi now underwrites the card program)

Sears is not upgradable - you have to apply for the Sears MC version to qualify

PayPal SC does not upgrade to the PayPal Extras MC - although in rare instances some folks have received (like Sam's, Dillard's, etc.) an invite to upgrade.

Message 3 of 5
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@fFin Star-Then those (Sears and Best Buyi) are the two that will remain store cards most likely b/c I'll presume those apps would require another HP. Also I plan to apply for one of Citi's cards (TY or Simplicity) either in January or May of next year. Do CLI's for BB and Sears require a HP?
BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 4 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit-hoarder wrote:
@fFin Star-Then those (Sears and Best Buyi) are the two that will remain store cards most likely b/c I'll presume those apps would require another HP. That is correct - any future apps for either of the MC versions will be HP.  From a versatility standpoint, the BB Store Card tends to carry better promotional offers and typically can have higher CLIs than its MC counterpart.  The store version comes with no AF, but it appears the MC version can carry the AF (based on your creditworthiness and whether you qualify for their Platinum of Gold version.  Also I plan to apply for one of Citi's cards (TY or Simplicity) either in January or May of next year. Do CLI's for BB and Sears require a HP?  AFAIK, they tend to be HP.  However, there are instances for either of them that if your file has been SP'd for AR then it's possible that you could avoid the HP, but it's best to monitor your CRs in advance to confirm whenever you're positioned for the CLI.  Most folks who have recently attempted BB CLIs after the Capital One/Citi transition have all resulted in HPs...so far.

https://www.accountonline.com/cards/acq/empty.do?download=pdf&value=jhcNBRIkX5wk256bsHMckn&screenID=...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.