Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Change - Amex BCE to Cash Preferred - 250 bonus for 1k spend

tag
LunaBuna
Regular Contributor

Product Change - Amex BCE to Cash Preferred - 250 bonus for 1k spend

Hope this is the correct location.

Received an offer from Amex to change out my BCE, for the Blue Cash Preferred.  Thought no, I am fine with the zero fee card and the 3 percent grocery spend.   A couple of weeks later, i get another offer to change out, about to hit delete on the email but for some reason looked a little more.   The offer now was 250 cash back, after a 1000 spend.   With the card costing 95 a year, and me easily hitting 3 grand in grocery spend a year, my spend will cover the 95 annual fee while adding an additional 250 to me.   The 1K spend is easy enough as i am well over that with various cards, and will not lose anything by just commiting to Amex a tad more to his the spend.

And before it is recommedned or asked, i did wait a couple of weeks before upgrading, in case the offer got better.  Nope.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Product Change - Amex BCE to Cash Preferred - 250 bonus for 1k spend

For upgrade offers I think that's as good as the BCE -> BCP gets short of applying for a new card for the $300/$1k spend offer via incognito or referral. Congrats on the upgrade!

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

$250 is as good as it gets on the upgrade offer.  I take it every time they offer it and then downgrade again when it's up for renewal.  It's worthwhile in most cases.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

$250 is as good as it gets on the upgrade offer.  I take it every time they offer it and then downgrade again when it's up for renewal.  It's worthwhile in most cases.

You've done it multiple times?  I can't imagine Amex would give the SUB more than once, right?

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You've done it multiple times?  I can't imagine Amex would give the SUB more than once, right?

Yes, and they keep paying out.  It does however tend to trigger the pop-up when looking at other cards w/ them.

There's no lifetime language on upgrades.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took that offer last year. I am about to be renewed. What is best to downgrade? After the annual fee posts, pay, and then downgrade a month later for refund?

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I took that offer last year. I am about to be renewed. What is best to downgrade? After the annual fee posts, pay, and then downgrade a month later for refund?

I downgrade before the fee hits and then take the offer when it shows up again.

Message 7 of 15
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Are you planning to downgrade after the year? The BCE is a better value for you (by all of $5).

Card% CBSpendFeeReward
BCE3%$3,000$0$90
BCP6%$3,000$95$85

Message 8 of 15
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

Are you planning to downgrade after the year? The BCE is a better value for you (by all of $5).

Card% CBSpendFeeReward
BCE3%$3,000$0$90
BCP6%$3,000$95$85

You are $245 off, Smiley Wink

$250 SUB

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikesonthemend wrote:

@VanderSnoot wrote:

Card% CBSpendFeeReward
BCE3%$3,000$0$90
BCP6%$3,000$95$85

You are $245 off, Smiley Wink

$250 SUB

Well, it's actually more because when you do the upgrade your AF is prorated as well.  First time I did it they only got $42 and the 2nd time $55.... So, that tming factor comes into play as well.  But for a normal year excluding a SUB w/ same spend it's a $5 difference. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.