Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Change experiences with Citi

tag
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Product Change experiences with Citi

I'm looking to change from my Platinum Select MC to an Amex. I've never used the card and I've had it since June of '09. I'm interested in anyone's experiences with Citi in terms of product changes, if they require and hard pulls, scores, etc. Any input would be very much appreciated.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Product Change experiences with Citi

no if it's available they will do it. the system will only allow certain cards though.
Message 2 of 16
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I've PC'd twice with Citi and have never had issues with it. The CSR's knew what it was, and completed it with no issues at all whatsoever.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 16
manyquestions
Established Contributor

It was easy.  Have their website pulled up on your computer screen when you call.  Know what you would like to change it to.  Tell the CSR you would like to do a product change from the card you have to the card you want, and you want to keep your history and the same account number.  As mentioned above you can not change everything to anything.  Ask for what you want, if the CSR says you can not convert your card to that card, ask what cards can I convert to?  Thats why you have their web page up on your screen incase you need to do a quick look at a couple of other cards that they tell you are the ones you can convert to.  There was no hard pull when I did it.  I don't think there ever is on a product change.
Message 4 of 16
score_building
Senior Contributor

@manyquestions wrote:
It was easy.  Have their website pulled up on your computer screen when you call.  Know what you would like to change it to.  Tell the CSR you would like to do a product change from the card you have to the card you want, and you want to keep your history and the same account number.  As mentioned above you can not change everything to anything.  Ask for what you want, if the CSR says you can not convert your card to that card, ask what cards can I convert to?  Thats why you have their web page up on your screen incase you need to do a quick look at a couple of other cards that they tell you are the ones you can convert to.  There was no hard pull when I did it.  I don't think there ever is on a product change. 

I tried for a PC platinum to forward a few days ago and was told my card is ineligible for PC to ANYTHING at this time.  good to hear it is still possible for some accts.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@manyquestions wrote:

I tried for a PC platinum to forward a few days ago and was told my card is ineligible for PC to ANYTHING at this time.  good to hear it is still possible for some accts.

Was this a converted Providan -> WaMu account?

Message 6 of 16
score_building
Senior Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@manyquestions wrote:

Was this a converted Providan -> WaMu account?

citi plat >>>citi forward

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Creditaddict wrote:
no if it's available they will do it. the system will only allow certain cards though.

--the Sears MC being one of them. It can't be PC'd for love nor money. Heaven knows, I tried.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 16
MrShush
Valued Contributor

All I want is the stupid AMEX without having an AMEX! I'm reluctant to try for fear of AA, but my current MC is basically a joke--bad limit, high rate, hence it never leaving the envelope in which they sent it. I don't want to risk an AA on my other Citi account: my Home Depot card. That card I've had since I bought my house in 2008 and I get an increase every 3 months. I could set my watch to it. It has a decent limit now and I really don't want to risk it. If a product change is really no big deal, I'm all in. Thanks for the responses, keep 'em coming!

Message 9 of 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

OP -

Why don't you app for a BofA Amex if you really want one. They're not that hard to get.

I also don't understand the point of having a CC you're so afraid to use you won't take it out of the envelope. As far as Citi is concerned disuse is as good a reason as any for AA.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.