Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Change experiences with Citi

tag
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Re: Product Change experiences with Citi

MrShush, in my personal experience, I have never had any issues doing a product change with Citi.  However, my only experiences have been from Mastercard to Mastercard or AMEX to AMEX.  I'm not sure if they system allows Visa to AMEX.  You should call CSR and ask.  The worst they can tell you is no and give you options on what you can change to. 
Message 11 of 16
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I had PC from a Platinum Select to the Diamond Rewards AMEX card. It was easy; it showed up online right away and a week later I recieved my card. They first told me they would have to see if its available for my account. The only change was my APR went from 9.99% to 11.29%.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 12 of 16
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

OP -

Why don't you app for a BofA Amex if you really want one. They're not that hard to get.

I also don't understand the point of having a CC you're so afraid to use you won't take it out of the envelope. As far as Citi is concerned disuse is as good a reason as any for AA.

I have a sock-drawered BoA Platinum Plus NFL Mastercard with a low $2500 limit (no CLI since I got the card in 2008) but it has a 'good' 9.99% rate. Having said that, I tried for a CLI with them and they pretty much shot me down because I have "adequate credit not being used" between this card and another FIA card totaling 10K. They actually wanted to take some limit from the Sovereign Bank World Points Plat. Mastercard to put it on the BoA Mastercard. That seems to be their idea of a CLI...for me anyway. So CWCID, I'd be willing to bet that they'd take from one to grant me another, or worse, close one. 

Message 13 of 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Not necessarily. A new card is not the same as a CLI request. You won't know if you don't try. You could get the BofA Amex and consolidate you CL's on it.
Message 14 of 16
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Done and done. Made the call and it was no problem at all--CSR was great. PC'd to Diamond Preferred Rewards AMEX. Additionally, my rate went from 26.99 down to prime + 10.99. Not great, but better than 27%. The only thing that couldn't be done at that moment was a CLI. CSR told me to wait until the card came and to give a call back. We'll see about that when it happens.

Thanks for everyone's input!

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
Not necessarily. A new card is not the same as a CLI request. You won't know if you don't try. You could get the BofA Amex and consolidate you CL's on it.

With BoA, my EX reports aren't clean due to 2 BMG zombie collections. I'll know what my real EX FICO is next month (agency pull) and maybe I'll give it a shot. I'm estimating it's somewhere hovering around 730, but I'll know for sure soon. If they pulled TU or EQ I'd have no problem at all. 

Message Edited by MrShush on 01-13-2010 07:23 PM
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI ??  You know not to close an account, but Citi has become sneaky and disappointing.  AmEx probably no better (as with most of the CC banks?).

I have 2 cards w/ Citibank, and both have had very low interest rates... UNTIL... :

Nov. 2009:  rec'd. letters re- both Citi cards, notifying "new terms" (i.e. higher int. rates) and option to "opt out."  

Citi's Nov. '09 letter states:  "The variable APR for purchases [and existing balance] is being increased." [to = Prime + 15.74% !!] "If you opt out...you may use your card under the current terms until end of your current membership year or the expiration date on your card, whichever is later."

12/8/09 -I opted out on higher rate card, which I had not been using, just paying down.

As of Nov. 23, 2009 statement, my int. rate ["current terms" ?] remained @ 6%.

As of Dec. 23, 2009, statement reflected int. rate of 14.99%

I'm in the process of disputing interest rate [my previous rate = opt-out "current terms"].

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.