Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Change from Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
KS13
Established Member

Product Change from Chase Sapphire Preferred

Hi

I was thinking about applying for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and using for the first free year which the $95 annual fee gets waived and then PCing to the Chase Freedom or Chase Sapphire no annual fee csrd before the new year. Is that possible and will Chase let me do that? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Product Change from Chase Sapphire Preferred

KS13, I recently asked almost the same question and got some helpful feedback from fellow members of myFico community. 

You can look that thread here - http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/What-can-you-do-with-Amex-Delta-CSP-after-the-1st-year/... 

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 2 of 6
KS13
Established Member

I see two different answers. so is it possible to PC over without getting hit with the annual fee or you can do you after you get hit with the annual fee?

Message 3 of 6
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

@KS13 wrote:

I see two different answers. so is it possible to PC over without getting hit with the annual fee or you can do you after you get hit with the annual fee?

I really don't see the sense of PCing it *after* annual fee hits - especially if the only reason for this PC is to avoid the fee :-)

I would say that YMMV here, but I don't see it as a huge problem - in the worst case scenario you can just cancel the card and apply for a new one. 

This might be even better from sign-up bonus point of view if, e.g. there's $200 bonus for opening Freedom, it might be better to close CSP and apply for Freedom to collect 200 bucks...

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 4 of 6
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Yes some companies allow PCing within the first year of account opening; some companies dont allow untill 13 months so the AF does hit. In most cases its YMMV.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 5 of 6
KS13
Established Member

@mikka1 wrote:

@KS13 wrote:

I really don't see the sense of PCing it *after* annual fee hits - especially if the only reason for this PC is to avoid the fee :-)

I would say that YMMV here, but I don't see it as a huge problem - in the worst case scenario you can just cancel the card and apply for a new one. 

This might be even better from sign-up bonus point of view if, e.g. there's $200 bonus for opening Freedom, it might be better to close CSP and apply for Freedom to collect 200 bucks...

Yeah that's what I was trying to say. I want to PC it BEFORE the AF hits :-) 

I guess I will apply and see what happens after one year. After all its just $95. They are giving me $400 sign-up bonus :-)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.