Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Changes

tag
brandonm
Valued Member

Product Changes

So, after paying off all of the revolving debt, I decided to take a look at what's really in my wallet. I had a lot of no AF cards, which is good, but I also had a lot of no points or cash back options.

So, I discovered (hah) that I could do a product change online for my Discover Gas and Restaurants card, to switch to the Discover Cash Back (5% Rotating). I went ahead with that, and am waiting for it in the mail. Smiley Happy

I also changed the Chase Slate card I have to the Chase Freedom Ultimate (another 5% rotating). That was just finished, and I'm awaiting those in the mail as well. Smiley Happy

I called Bofa to see about switching my BankAmericard into a Cash Rewards card, but the rep told me that the system wouldn't take the request, and that I should try again in 2 months or so. Smiley Frustrated

Chase was crazy simple. She knew what I wanted and how to do it. She did mention I'd lose my credit score tracking, but I don't care about that from Chase anyway. Discover was unbelievably convenient, since I could do it all online. It let me choose the rewards structure and everything. I didn't even know it was possible until I looked into it. Bofa was painless, but unsuccessful.

Now if I could just get rid of that QS1... I keep checking that upgrade link religiously.Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Product Changes

It may take a few tries with BoA, but lots of folks have had success with a PC. Was your card a previously secured product and/or did it have an AF?
Message 2 of 7
brandonm
Valued Member

@FinStar wrote:
It may take a few tries with BoA, but lots of folks have had success with a PC. Was your card a previously secured product and/or did it have an AF?

Never secured, never an annual fee. It was actually my first card ever, and still has the lowest limit of all my cards. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

For one thing, you're young and your credit profile is young as well so you gotta give things time. That said, the other PCs were pretty successful so that's a plus. On the upside, you can grow the BoA card via SP at some point.

Just keep trying with BoA and with Capital One. Eventually, the accounts will become eligible for the PC.
Message 4 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@brandonm wrote:

I also changed the Chase Slate card I have to the Chase Freedom Ultimate (another 5% rotating). That was just finished, and I'm awaiting those in the mail as well. Smiley Happy

Be sure when you get your Freedom that it's not the Freedom Unlimited... that one's 1.5% on everything, not 5% on rotating categories.

Sometimes there can be confusion when a PC is done, but if you end up with the Unlimited just call or message them again and they should be able to get you changed to the 'regular' Freedom (there is no Freedom Ultimate, which is what makes me think you might have been PCed to the wrong card).

Message 5 of 7
brandonm
Valued Member

@UncleB wrote:

@brandonm wrote:

Be sure when you get your Freedom that it's not the Freedom Unlimited... that one's 1.5% on everything, not 5% on rotating categories.

Sometimes there can be confusion when a PC is done, but if you end up with the Unlimited just call or message them again and they should be able to get you changed to the 'regular' Freedom (there is no Freedom Ultimate, which is what makes me think you might have been PCed to the wrong card).

Interesting. I asked to PC to the Freedom, and she said "Freedom Ultimate or Freedom Unlimited." So I said Freedom Ultimate, I knew I didn't want the unlimited. I also hadn't heard it called the Freedom Ultimate, so I stressed that I wanted the "5% rotating categories card." When I check my Chase account, it says Chase Freedom and mentions 5% Cash Back under the Ultimate Rewards block. It also let me activate the 5% back on Streaming Services and Gas Stations for this quarter, so I'm more than sure it's the right card.

Nonetheless, I wonder why she referred to it as the Freedom Ultimate. Smiley Indifferent

Message 6 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@brandonm wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@brandonm wrote:

Interesting. I asked to PC to the Freedom, and she said "Freedom Ultimate or Freedom Unlimited." So I said Freedom Ultimate, I knew I didn't want the unlimited. I also hadn't heard it called the Freedom Ultimate, so I stressed that I wanted the "5% rotating categories card." When I check my Chase account, it says Chase Freedom and mentions 5% Cash Back under the Ultimate Rewards block. It also let me activate the 5% back on Streaming Services and Gas Stations for this quarter, so I'm more than sure it's the right card.

Nonetheless, I wonder why she referred to it as the Freedom Ultimate. Smiley Indifferent

Interesting, indeed... perhaps they have a new naming convention that's about to come out? 

In any case as long as you end up with the right one that's what matters, and if you're seeing it display correctly on your dashboard you're likely good to go. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.