Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Changing Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa

tag
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Product Changing Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa

I know this is a dumb question, but I am having difficulty on deciding which Chase card I would like to try to PC the Chase Sapphire Preferred to.  I am truly not interested in gathering UR points, as my travel is not that frequent anymore.

I received this card as a Chase decided PC from another card which they no longer have in their lineup.  At first I was delighted until I started realizing it is really for earning travel points.

I like cash rewards.  Any suggestions as to what the best cash rewards card would be.  I know this is a personal decision, but sure would like to have some thoughts, insights, and recommendations concerning this.  Thanks in advance.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Product Changing Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

I know this is a dumb question, but I am having difficulty on deciding which Chase card I would like to try to PC the Chase Sapphire Preferred to.  I am truly not interested in gathering UR points, as my travel is not that frequent anymore.

I received this card as a Chase decided PC from another card which they no longer have in their lineup.  At first I was delighted until I started realizing it is really for earning travel points.

I like cash rewards.  Any suggestions as to what the best cash rewards card would be.  I know this is a personal decision, but sure would like to have some thoughts, insights, and recommendations concerning this.  Thanks in advance.

Quite some folks received this CSP as part of the PC from another card.  Since I have the better CSR, I downgraded it to regular Sapphire first, then to Freedom Unlimited.  I can still PC it to Freedom.  But since I already have two Freedom cards, there is no point of doing it.

I do not think there is a true Chase cashback card.  All true Chase cards earn highly valuable Ultimate Rewards points, which you can get cash back.

Message 2 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For cash, your best choices would be Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.

Take a look at the Freedom categories, and see if they make sense - that's 5% up to $75 back each quarter and 1% if you accidentally make another purchase.

Otherwise, the Freedom Unlimited would be 1.5% cash back on everything.

Chase Sapphire is also an option if you don't have a 2% card, as you could just put all of your restaurant spend only on it and get 2% cash back (and 1% on anything else).

Edit: @BronzeTrader our posts crossed.  Without a CSP or CSR the F/FU/Sapphire cards can be considered cash back cards (and the UR accounts actually show cash amounts rather than points on these cards) since you cannot transfer UR points to partners.  Redeeming for gift cards doesn't offer any better (and sometimes worse) value than cash.

Message 3 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No such thing as dumb questions on myFico, just....Smiley Wink

Good luck on your Pc journey IncrsSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I think it is best to PC it to Freedom.  Even if you do not use it right now, you can still wake it later if you eve decide to activate the Chase vigor.  Chase UR system is very powerful.

I would not want to stay in the Sapphire family since that blockes you from getting the Sapphire bonus.  I'm not sure when you'll be eligible since you never earn the Sapphire bonus. 

Message 5 of 8
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

The 5% quartery categories of Freedom and Discover sometimes have overlap. This is also my concern whether in case of having Discover, it might be not wisely to have also Freedom. 

Chase AMZ has also 5% on Amazon but a high APR. So, if you do not have an AMZ store card, this might be another option.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

I think it is best to PC it to Freedom.  Even if you do not use it right now, you can still wake it later if you eve decide to activate the Chase vigor.  Chase UR system is very powerful.

I would not want to stay in the Sapphire family since that blockes you from getting the Sapphire bonus.  I'm not sure when you'll be eligible since you never earn the Sapphire bonus. 

If you are not using the CSP, it's worthwhile to PC to remove the AF, but then it may not really matter which card you PC to.    You don't HAVE to use the PCd card if there isn't a point to doing so......

It also depends on what other cards you have.   If you have a 2% everywhere card, the FU doesn't make sense (for now), if the best you have is a 1% card, then it might be a good choice.   But I will agree with BronzeTrader, the Freedom will give you 5% back on some categories if you can use them, so it's unlikely to be totally useless forever, and if you do get in to UR transfer at some point, it can be good then (assuming that the rumors of Chase stopping transfers from lower-level cards aren't true).

Message 7 of 8
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your responses.  I have nearly decided that the PC will be to the Freedom.  

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.