Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product change my CO card from Platinum to Venture

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Product change my CO card from Platinum to Venture

i am loving my new Venture card, I forego the sign up bonus but I channelled some spending on it, so after a month I am sitting at 28,000 points. Capital One makes it seemless to upgrade. No review of your credit history, just based on your history with them.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Product change my CO card from Platinum to Venture

How long did you have your platinum before pc'ing it to the Venture? Was their an inrease too or just the product change?
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have had an $11,200 credit limit on my Platinum for many years, 8 to be exact. So I believe someone with a similar profile should be qualified to do the same thing.
Message 3 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

So you're paying $95 for a 2% travel credit in 2018 despite 8+ years of history?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Well, perhaps the OP can get the AF waived (YEMV of course).

I've had the Venture since 2015, the AF gets waived annually when I contact them. Then again, I tend to have pretty good usage on it.
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly, I am not a petty and trivial person, I am not taking a minute out ofy day to calculate if I am winning or losing, gaining or stagnant as it relates to a credit card annual fee. I have a small business, so I have above ordinary expenses, to that end in the last 6 weeks I have earned 34,400points on this card, that's $340, I now have that I did not before and I have placed hundreds of thousands on my previous platinum card with zero returns. I appreciate improvement and I am not looking to concentrating all my efforts into getting penny's back from credit card companies. I'm not interested in making a living this way. I already have my priorities in front of me, not looking to get side tracked. @cb14
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your product upgrade.

Yardie?

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes Iyaah, Respect.
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley LOL 'Nuff respect.  Walk good.

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes Iyaah, Respect.

Message 9 of 20
ZenMan
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

i am loving my new Venture card . . . 

Congratulations on your product upgrade!  It's funny that I stumbled upon this post, because two days ago I upgraded my Quicksilver to a Venture and was wondering whether I, as a not-too-frequent flyer, had made the right decision.

I began my rebuild last July, and was given a Quicksilver card with a $2,500 SL and enrolled in Capital One's Credit Steps program.  After six months, my limit was bumped up to $3,000, and this month (six months later) I requested a credit limit increase that almost doubled my limit to $5,500.  Based on what I'd read here about how Capital One "buckets" some of his cardholders into risk trenches -- and once you're in an bad bucket, it can be difficult, if not impossible, to get out without re-apping altogether -- I was bracing myself for a modest increase.  I truly was stunned with the result, given my BK7 last spring.  Anyway, I called Capital One to ask simply if they could "upgrade" my Quicksilver (which is on the Platinum tier) to the World Master Card or World Master Card Elite tier, now that the credit limit was over $5,000.  The representative put me on hold for several minutes, and after discussing this with her supervisor, informed me that she could accommodate my request, but only if I product changed to a Venture card.  The Venture card never held any appeal for me, but I saw this as an opportunity to move out of a less favorable risk trench into a more favorable one much, much sooner than I might have otherwise been eligible.  The Capital One representative also agreed to waive my annual fee for the first year, which was very kind of her.

Another thing I considered, is that while I much  prefer cash back cards over points-based cards,  most of the cash back that I've earned over the last year has been by taking advantage of special deals found in Member Malls tied to cards like Discover and NFCU, which can turn a 1-1.5% cash back transaction into a 10% cash back windfall, depending on the merchant.  Since Capital One doesn't have such a mall, most of my spend has been directed at Discover.  Now that I have just started a relationship with NFCU - which has an even better Mall than Discover does - I figured I would just move any spend that would've gone to Quicksilver to their cashRewards card.   So I still have the opportunity to earn (at least) 1.5% cash back, and now I have a travel card that may have some perks I will find useful as I familiarize myself more with its programs and reward structure.

I understand that Chase and others have travel cards that are far superior to Capital One's Venture.  But for a rebuilder like me, being offered an opportunity to gain early entrance into the WEMC pool seemed to outweigh what I'd potentially be losing by surrendering my Quicksilver card  .... even if it does end up costing me $95 annually.

Unless I'm missing something?

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.