cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product changing CSR after 4 years only to apply for it again?

tag
SPChaser
Established Contributor

Product changing CSR after 4 years only to apply for it again?

This has been on my mind for a bit and wanted to get some thoughts on it. I've read that after 4 years, one should product change from the CSR to a non-sapphire card only to then later apply for it again for another go at the SUB. Of course (for me anyway), this barring the fact of a great SUB offer available at the time for the CSR. Anyone has done this in the last or thinks this a good way to go with the CSR? I've read that if your not doing this with the CSR, you as are basically leaving money on the table. 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Re: Product changing CSR after 4 years only to apply for it again?

It's a well known travel hack talked about in Facebook travel blogs like the points guy or award travel 101. Just to be clear it's gotta be after 48months when you received the bonus

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 2 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

it's a known trick and I've read of others who have done it.   Just remember that the 48 month period starts from when the SUB was earned and not from when the card was approved.  The guidance suggested was to wait until the next calendar month to submit the application so as to avoid potential headaches tied to when the 48 month threshold was in fact reached.

The risk of course is that you could still be denied for the new CSR even after recon.   Your personal choice as to how willing you are to take on that risk.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 13
SPChaser
Established Contributor

Thanks @Hoben02 @coldfusion I've had the CSR for over 4 years and 6 months and, if I'm remembering right, achieved the SUB after two months in. I haven't decided to do it but wanted some thoughts on it. Either way, I'll be on the fence about applying for any new credit other than it being SP CLIs til after I reach a year with AOD. Thanks again. 

Message 4 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SPChaser wrote:

This has been on my mind for a bit and wanted to get some thoughts on it. I've read that after 4 years, one should product change from the CSR to a non-sapphire card only to then later apply for it again for another go at the SUB. Of course (for me anyway), this barring the fact of a great SUB offer available at the time for the CSR. Anyone has done this in the last or thinks this a good way to go with the CSR? I've read that if your not doing this with the CSR, you as are basically leaving money on the table. 

IMHO trying to churn Chase is a dangerous business. I would avoid playing games like that.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SPChaser wrote:

IMHO trying to churn Chase is a dangerous business. I would avoid playing games like that.

While it is a churn, there is a 4 year minimum interval, and since Chase set that, you COULD take the view that they are happy with that.

Message 6 of 13
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SPChaser wrote:

Agreed @SouthJamaica Not trying to churn but I can see how it would be churning. I've, more or less, judiciously used the card over 4 years now as a main my main driver until I got the Freedom Unlimited; now it's my primary travel card. With putting over $77K spend alone on the CSR last year, I've certainly  put the card to use. It's just I've herd of this CSR product changing and wanted thoughts on it. 

Message 7 of 13
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SPChaser wrote:

While it is a churn, there is a 4 year minimum interval, and since Chase set that, you COULD take the view that they are happy with that.

Thanks @longtimelurker While I agreed with the advice @SouthJamaica  was giving, churning is definitely viewed as a negative and didn't want to be seen as that was my primary goal; even though, yes, it would be churning. 

Message 8 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

My schedule was:

CSP in 2015 (40k? SUB)

PC CSP to CFU in early 2018

CSR in mid 2018 (50k? SUB)

PC CSR to a second Freedom (2020)

...and I may go for a CSP or CSR later this year, once comfortably 4 years past when the 2018 SUB posted. I'll probably request a CLD on a Chase card or two in advance.

I dont see any harm in my applying. If they decline me, they decline me. I don't think they'd close my other accounts. It's playing a little aggressively...but within the rules.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 13
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Would it make more sense just to look at a card like the Venture X where they are offering 100k miles?

Venture X $395 AF ($300 travel credit) 

Sapphire Reserve $550 ($300 travel credit)

Venture X $395 AF (10,000 bonus points annually) 

Sapphire Reserve $550 (1.5 points redemption)

Capital One has different travel partners so you can also diversify over just having Chase travel partners.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.