Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper Etiquette for Closing an AMEX

tag
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

Proper Etiquette for Closing an AMEX

I have a Delta Gold that I opened on 8/28/18. The statement cuts on the 23rd. I am expecting the annual fee to post on my upcoming statement.

Since opening this card, I’ve gone on to open a Delta Platinum which is just a better card for me. There’s no reason in the world for me to have two Delta cards and I would like to swap out the Delta Gold for a different AMEX card altogether.

I am heavy in AMEX with 5 revolvers and 2 charge cards and a pile of MR’s and other loyalty points. I do not want to risk any of that. And would like to preserve the option to earn SUB in the future (on new cards).

Am I safe to call and close the Delta Gold after the statement cuts on the 23rd? Do I pay the AF first? Does it matter?
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Proper Etiquette for Closing an AMEX

After the AF posts, have you considered downgrading the Delta Gold to the Delta Blue?  This technically maintains the account, you get the AF refunded if you call right after the AF posts, and you have a card that earns two SkyMiles on dining.  Then after another year or more, consider closing, and it reduces the chances being tagged as a churner. Take advantage of possible AMEX offers on the card. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 32
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

Thanks. That is an option and I will do that if I need to. I would rather swap it for a card I can use more (as I am at the 5 card max now), but I don’t want to anger Amex.

I have a Gold charge card already so I can technically earn 4 miles per dollar on dining (if I transfer MR to Delta and they transfer 1:1).

As a stand-alone card, the blue doesn’t offer much appeal to me (unless it has Amex offers that don’t come up for my other 6 cards?-that’s an actual question-not a sarcastic comment). But if I need to keep the card open another year, then the Blue is a cost effective option.

I have closed zero Amex (or any other prime bank) cards thus far in my life. Not sure if that makes any difference.
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t believe you can change to a different card until after a year but I’m not positive on that. You don’t want to close it before the first year is up though - that’s been seen to cause issues with future SUBs. And finally, you will only be able to PC it in the family, such as to a different Delta card. You can’t change a Delta to a Hilton or a Cash Magnet, for example.

If I were you I’d wait until a year has passed and then either change it to a different Delta, or move its CL to your Delta Plat and close the gold. You’ll be safe from AA that way.
Message 4 of 32
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

Thank you. I think I’m using too much of my own terminology.

The card is over a year old, but the AF hasn’t posted yet. I’m expecting it to post on the upcoming statement (the 13th for the card).

What I mean by “change” cards is that I would like to close this card and open (apply for) a different one. The delta platinum more than meets my delta needs. I would like a no AF MR earning revolver (ED). But I have the max number of revolvers Amex will allow me to have. So I need to close one in order to apply for the ED. I am shorthanding all of that into “change” cards.

But I want to make sure that when I do close the Delta Gold, I’m doing it in a “safe” way (no AA and no loss of future SUB). I think I’m ok to do that after the AF posts but I wanted to be sure.
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok got it now lol. Yes, let the AF post, and then close it within 30 days and they’ll credit the fee. First though, move your limit to another Amex to preserve it. You don’t have to lose that CL when you close the card. I believe on that card you’ll have to leave a minimum of $500 on the card but the rest should be movable to another card first.
Message 6 of 32
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

That’s a great idea to move CL! Do you know if that impacts the existing CLI schedule? I’m due for my next attempt on 9/26.
Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t believe it does but I can’t tell you for sure. Hopefully someone with a definite answer will chime in though. If no one does, then weigh out what you think is more beneficial and do that first. If you have a $6k CL, I’d move that first on the thought that a $6k CLI is unlikely, so I’d make whatever move I think will be tied to the bigger dollar figure.
Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

A different reluctant perspective on my Delta Gold experience...

Opened the card late summer 2018.  Went on one trip, thought there'd be more, but didn't happen.  Wife really didn't want to pay the annual fee, and told me to cancel it, despite my objections.  I ended up giving in, and cancelling it before the AF processed.

3 weeks later got a nasty gram email stating that my bonus would be clawed back.  I called and pleaded with an agent.  She said there was nothing I could do - they were unable to reopen the account.  I'd have to apply for another if I wanted it, but am unlikely to get any sign on bonus ever with AmEx as I'm now seen as a churner.

2 months later, the miles haven't yet been deducted from SkyMiles, but I'm expecting them to vaporize at some point.  Poof!

I'd recommend you understand all the potential reactions if you cancel.  As mentioned in an earlier post, downgrading might be a better option.  Or pay one AF and cancel it 11 months from now and before the next AF posts.

Bummer is, I could have applied that spending to earn the bonus (soon to be clawed back) on another card.  Lost opportunity all around.

Message 9 of 32
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A different reluctant perspective on my Delta Gold experience...

Opened the card late summer 2018.  Went on one trip, thought there'd be more, but didn't happen.  Wife really didn't want to pay the annual fee, and told me to cancel it, despite my objections.  I ended up giving in, and cancelling it before the AF processed.

3 weeks later got a nasty gram email stating that my bonus would be clawed back.  I called and pleaded with an agent.  She said there was nothing I could do - they were unable to reopen the account.  I'd have to apply for another if I wanted it, but am unlikely to get any sign on bonus ever with AmEx as I'm now seen as a churner.

2 months later, the miles haven't yet been deducted from SkyMiles, but I'm expecting them to vaporize at some point.  Poof!

I'd recommend you understand all the potential reactions if you cancel.  As mentioned in an earlier post, downgrading might be a better option.  Or pay one AF and cancel it 11 months from now and before the next AF posts.

Bummer is, I could have applied that spending to earn the bonus (soon to be clawed back) on another card.  Lost opportunity all around.

Not sure here but does anyone have DP on how long before they "claw back"? 2 months and you still have miles, did AMEX say WHEN they were clawing back? Seems strange that they wait...I mean you could use them and what would they "claw"? strange

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.