cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchases that can harm your credit?

tag
annebythesea
New Contributor

Re: Purchases that can harm your credit?

@TimeToRecover wrote:

Well analytics are being used every day for everything so do i think there are stats kept on such things YES.  do I think a cc company will close an account because I buy sheets at walmart NO.  What they care about is do you pay on time.  If you pay on time at least the minimum amount they don't give a flip what you buy.

Just my 1/2 a cents worth.

Agreed.

Starting Score: MyFico EQ 694 (3/2013)
Current Score: MyFico EQ 707 (4/1/2013), EX 734 (4/12/2013 - AMEX pull)
Goal Score: 740+, gardening since: 5/17/13

Message 11 of 37
Cali_Credit
Frequent Contributor

@909lex Pampering and alcohol purchases is my life hee hee
Current Fico's: TU 797 / EQ 785 / EX 775
Wallet: US Bank Business Edge $16,000 I Chase Ink $18,500 | US Bank Cash + Visa Sig $15,000 | Amex PRG NSL | Barclay Arrival+ WMC $10,000 l Amex BCP $20,000 | PenFed Visa Sig $9,000 | DCU Plat. $10,000 | Logix $10,000 | Discover $18,900 | WalMart $10,000 | Paypal MC $15,000 | Barclay NFL $3,400 | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMC $34,500 | J C Penny $5000 | Target $2000 13 Personal & 2 Business CreditCards
Message 12 of 37
Open123
Super Contributor

Some stuff I think credit card enthusiasts may enjoy reading.  The reason I'm posting these is to show there is some "basis" behind some of the credit card purchase modelling so often discussed on these forums.

White Paper on data mining:  ftp://210.59.95.83/ESWA_20120104/An%20integrated%20data%20mining%20and%20behavioral%20scoring%20mode...

General mainstream yahoo article on behavioral modelling - http://voices.yahoo.com/behavioral-scoring-credit-card-companies-revealed-2505838.html

Message 13 of 37
nfs_mw
New Contributor

Mostly hokum..Purchase as normal and PIF..

Message 14 of 37
andre181
Established Contributor

I also call BS. While the reasoning is somewhat sound, I don't think CCC's extensively profile like this based on where you use your card. Some purchases may trigger something, especially with AMEX, but overall you shouldn't worry about it. 

I've used my cards for many of the things on that list and I've had no problems. I've paid large speeding tickets, lawyer fees, shop at discount stores (Walmart, Target, and Amazon account for 90% of my shopping), write BT checks to myself, charged $150+ bar tabs, paid medical/doctor bills, etc. all without any AA. 

Use the cards and pay the bills, that's all they care about.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 15 of 37
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@IECredit wrote:
BS in my opinion =)

I call BS on like 3/4 of that stuff.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 37
enharu
Super Contributor

also to add...

if a bank is to review every single transaction like this........it's going to take a lot or processing power for its servers or manpower to actually churn through all these data.

from the number of transactions per day for a prime bank alone........this just seems economically unrealistic to dedicate so much resources just for this.

there's other much better and efficient ways to evaluate risk.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 17 of 37
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

I had never heard before that using a card for a cash advance could get you a CLR or AA. That seems strange to me. I thought that credit cards made money off of fees and interest. They get lots of fees and interest from cash advances. It seems that I'm learning now that cards are making most of their money off of swipe fees and that they actually don't like customers who keep balances because the potential profit from interest is more than offset by people who carry long term balances propensity to just not pay back what they owe. And to the person who was distaining therapy, I don't see anything wrong with getting extra help if you need it. I can't change the way companies do business really whether I like it or not so in that case I guess it is good that I become informed about these things so I can act accordingly. Most of us on here are more educated than the average member of the public on how to have a good credit score and avoid a lot of these pitfalls. It would make no sense to ignore what we know to be true just to make a political statement. It is like shooting ourselves in the foot. I agree however that I seriously doubt most credit card companies are sorting through our purchases with a fine tooth comb trying to find a reason to deny us credit.  I also would seriously doubt that anyone in the history of the world has been subject to negative credit implications because they got their tires retreaded. I suspect that is a figment of a columnist who needed a few extra words to fill up a pages' vivid imaginnation.

Message 18 of 37
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

I'm not buying into the originial article.  While, I'm sure that my spending habits are reviewed somewhere in order for someone to market to me, this article went so far as to say that the ccc's could actually lower my score because of those habits. Not likely.

On second thought, I do see people on here complaining that their FICO dropped for no reason. Hmmm, makes sense now. That bottle of cheap booze and girlie magazine you bought at Walmart is coming back to haunt you.

Message 19 of 37
annab

Actually, while that article may not have cited the best examples, it is actually valid. This article is old but clearly Amex DOES care about WHERE you shop, not necessarily what you buy. Go ahead and do your own keyword searches on "where you shop matters"

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27055285/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/t/amex-rates-credit-risk-where-you...

Chase Marriott Premier $15k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $20k
AmEx BCE $15k | AmEx BCP $22k (AU)
Citi Dividend Plat $10.6k
CapOne Cash Rewards $7.5k
EX 791/ EQ 781/TU 781
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.