Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing Online

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Purchasing Online

Anyway to buy a high ticket item Online with more than one card for the same item? It seems you have to put the whole purchase on one credit card, a common probelm would be if th customer does not have any cards with a high enough limit.

Case in point I want to buy an expensive leather sofa that cost $2,000 Online, includes delivery and white glove set up and I think one free accessory. My highest card limit is only $1750, this retailer has two physical stores but their in different states than mine, so Online is the only option.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PURCHASING ONLINE

Call the merchant and ask to split billing between two cards.
Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did ask, guy said that had no way of splitting it
Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately if they won’t split it, there’s nothing you can do except ask for a credit limit increase or open a new account that has the limit you need.
Message 4 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's just it, no way of knowing what limit I woukd get on a tier 2 card, CSP if I qualified would do it but I have a thin file.
Message 5 of 35
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
That's just it, no way of knowing what limit I woukd get on a tier 2 card, CSP if I qualified would do it but I have a thin file.

Just FYI, the term "tier 2" doesn't have any meaning on this site.

I suspect it's another subjective term similar to 'subprime' that is used by some, but the meaning can vary from person to person and without further clarification can lead to confusion.

Message 6 of 35
Ahava18
Valued Member

Re: Purchasing Online

This may not be a solution, it's rather a workaround. If your $1750 card has a 0 balance, you can make a $250 bill pay from your bank (initiated FROM your bank accnt). That should make your available credit $2,000.

I can't say I have tested it on all card issuers, so it may be YMMV.
Message 7 of 35
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: Purchasing Online

If you have a debit card you could always use that.

Message 8 of 35
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I did ask, guy said that had no way of splitting it

I would call back, ask to speak to a manager, and ask if they want to make a sale or not. In this day and time, it makes absolutely no sense that the store can't charge this to two different cards. They could just charge 2 different miscellaneous items. This would make me wonder what other antiquated systems they have in place -- example, you get the couch, there's a problem, and they won't credit your card. 

Yep, I would see if I could find another store or another couch somewhere else. Unbelievable that they would lose out on a $2K sale. And if I were the sales person, I would be some kind of upset missing out on my commission.

Oh well, that's my rant for the day.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 35
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just FYI, the term "tier 2" doesn't have any meaning on this site.

I suspect it's another subjective term similar to 'subprime' that is used by some, but the meaning can vary from person to person and without further clarification can lead to confusion.

+1. You beat me to it. I saw this term somewhere else and was wondering what in the world is tier 1, 2, 3 or 4.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.