Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pushed My Luck with GEMB

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Pushed My Luck with GEMB

HA HA!  After reading on Who Gave Me Credit, I thought I would apply for a Lenscrafters card, to offset the cost of my @#$^ expensive glasses...I got the message of death:  We are unable to provide you with a decision at this time.  I was so sure I would get it!  But maybe not.  Smiley Sad

Yesterday I applied for an Ultra Diamonds card (got it!) & earlier today I decided to apply for the Care Credit card so that maybe I can FINALLY get some stupid braces (got it!).  But I guess the third time's the charm for GEMB!  I will call for a recon tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: Pushed My Luck with GEMB

May FICO G-ds rain approval on your request.

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous HA!  After reading on Who Gave Me Credit, I thought I would apply for a Lenscrafters card, to offset the cost of my @#$^ expensive glasses...I got the message of death:  We are unable to provide you with a decision at this time.  I was so sure I would get it!  But maybe not.  Smiley Sad

Yesterday I applied for an Ultra Diamonds card (got it!) & earlier today I decided to apply for the Care Credit card so that maybe I can FINALLY get some stupid braces (got it!).  But I guess the third time's the charm for GEMB!  I will call for a recon tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will never apply for a GEMB product again. They pull my credit then deny me based on inability to verify my identity. It's just bogus.
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

They denied me for a Chevron gas card, the reason.... not enough credit.  WTF?  I thought that would be a good thing.  
Message 4 of 21
jaybird201
Established Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous HA!  After reading on Who Gave Me Credit, I thought I would apply for a Lenscrafters card, to offset the cost of my @#$^ expensive glasses...I got the message of death:  We are unable to provide you with a decision at this time.  I was so sure I would get it!  But maybe not.  Smiley Sad

If they had approved you, you'd probably have gotten a $50 CL and you'd have to buy your frames first...and then your lenses...one at a time.

GEMB is all sorts of messed up and crazy.

Message 5 of 21
laz98
Senior Contributor

@jaybird201 wrote:

If they had approved you, you'd probably have gotten a $50 CL and you'd have to buy your frames first...and then your lenses...one at a time.

why do you say that, about the CL?  because of my scores?

Message 6 of 21
wmarat
Valued Contributor

GEMB is known by very low starting CL and stingy CLI.

@laz98 wrote:

@jaybird201 wrote:

why do you say that, about the CL?  because of my scores?

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 7 of 21
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Years ago, I opened a GEMB/JCPenny account to get a 10% discount off a $258 leather jacket.  When I got the 1st statement and the card, they only gave me a $200 limit though I had spent  $258 on it when I opened it.  That still doesn't make sense to me.  My 2 CCs all had ~$10k CL at the time.  So that $200 store card has sat gathering dust for years and yet is still active as they updated my reports as current as recently as last month.  Never got a CLI,  but  I never used it again either.

So yeah, while I doubt a $50 limit, I suspect they wouldn't have given you much higher.

Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call JCPenney and ask for a CLI. They will give one every four months like clockwork, if you ask.  I got a $200 CL and called from the store while making my first purchase - they raised my CL to $1000, no questions asked. Bet they would give you an ever bigger CL, with your scores.
Message 9 of 21
wmarat
Valued Contributor

It is not accurate. I have not been able to get CLI on JCP card for last 11 months, though got CLI's on 2 other GEMB accounts.

@Anonymous wrote:
Call JCPenney and ask for a CLI. They will give one every four months like clockwork, if you ask.  I got a $200 CL and called from the store while making my first purchase - they raised my CL to $1000, no questions asked. Bet they would give you an ever bigger CL, with your scores.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.