cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pyrimiding Account??? Penfed...

tag
chadblack

Pyrimiding Account??? Penfed...

Hey guys...just got declined for a CC with Pen Fed due to "Pyrimiding Debt". I only have 3 cars, no other payments and 750 EQ score and make $175k on taxs...WTF???? Are all the major CU:

Navy
USAA
NASA
JFCU

...the same way??? 2 Inquiries in the past month, this one made 3?? 2/3 cars were in the past 4-5 months....Please help me understand. THANKS!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pyrimiding Account??? Penfed...

How many CCs do you currently have and what are the balances reporting (it doesn't matter if you PIF everymonth, they will still show a balance if you use them regularly)? 

What are the car payments?  And yes, many banks do not like to see new debt (especially debt from the last 6 months) when applying for things.  So, it you opened those 2 new car loans in that period, they may be nervous until they can see how you handle them.  Try again in 6 months.

You could try calling them and asking them to reconsider pointing out your payments verses your income ratio.

Message Edited by Miner on 09-29-2008 04:26 PM
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 2 of 9
chadblack

Two Dinker CC, and a Macys Cards all with $0 balances, they are PIFd everymonth. Car payments are:

$1400
$691
$675

I know the revolvs show $0, I just checked. I just dont get it. Should I just call in and ask to speak to anyone to reconsider??? Thanks for your reply!
Message 3 of 9
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Sorry about the decline. You should call in and recon, it's worth a try to tell why you should be approved. Good score and income are a great intro.

Are the 2/3 auto loans for new cars ?? Depending on the total borrowed for the autos that might factor into their 'pyramid'. That could be a large amount of credit extended in a short time span.

Call and recon.

The other lenders don't 'pyramid' as much , but will decline for the same types of reason. JFCU might be the easiest of the three but is very quirky. They could approve with no problem or put you through the wringer with a verification process and multiple inquiries.

If denied by PenFed still definately try USAA if you're a member and NASA. NASA will pull all three and probably want doc's or paystubs.

Jax
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 4 of 9
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Just saw your next post. Those car payments are going to be a hard fix for PenFed, especially the amounts (no disrespect, but they are some high dollar monthly payments) and the fact that they are that recent definitely fits the P-Fed 'pyramid' profile.

Jax
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 5 of 9
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Penfed does not go solely on your FICO score (most lenders don't). This is obvious as you were declined with a high score like that. Penfed only does recons by fax. You can fax over a letter for reconsideration, but don't hold your breath. Once you are denied, that's it. There are not many people who got a CC through Penfed on a recon. In my opinion, squash Penfed all together and try another CU.
Message 6 of 9
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

What does "Pyrimiding" mean?
10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
felixfly2000
Contributor

______________________________________________________________________________________
MidnightVoice wrote: pyramiding debt - pyramiding debt can mean one of two things: having too much available credit already or accumulating too many new credit cards
______________________________________________________________________________________

You look desperate to credit issuer when you open to many new account in a short period of time. I would saw to wait 6 months and re-app, as long as you credit history remains clean.
Message 8 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@chadblack wrote:
Hey guys...just got declined for a CC with Pen Fed due to "Pyrimiding Debt". I only have 3 cars, no other payments and 750 EQ score and make $175k on taxs...WTF???? Are all the major CU:

Navy
USAA
NASA
JFCU

...the same way??? 2 Inquiries in the past month, this one made 3?? 2/3 cars were in the past 4-5 months....Please help me understand. THANKS!

175K is a nice income but that is a lot of car payment monthly ya got there. New too so that doesn't help much. You might be better off had you gotten called out for pyramiding CC debt. At least that way you could wait 6 months and let the cards age a bit before applying again. Looks uphill to me especially in this climate.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.