cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q: What papers do you keep for each credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Q: What papers do you keep for each credit card?

My scanner and paper shredder are right next to each other in my office. Everything I get gets batch scanned to PDF and then shredded.

I get at least one set of BT checks per week (mostly from BoA) so I have to stay on top of shredding those. Otherwise, there would just be too much physical paper to keep track of.
Message 11 of 19
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

I have a small 2-drawer file cabinet that I keep paperwork first received in.  Other info regarding the cc are kept on an external hard drive.  Everything is paperless and I like it that way.  I save paperless statements to the external hard drive. 

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent question. I used to keep everything and have the mess to prove it. About 3 months ago, I started shredding everything. Now that I think about it, it may be a good idea to keep the original approval information. I always keep any paper work associated with a bonus until after the terms have been fulfilled. All of my statements are electronic.

Message 13 of 19
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Nothing. Get it, glance at it, shred it. 

All worthless stuff.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 14 of 19
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

None, I personally don't like clutter and I don't want my information on any pieces of paper or in the mail for fear of identity theft etc...everything is online. I trust my banks and CC companies to be honest and organize all my documents for me. After all, they are the ones extending credit to me in the 1st place solely off a ss#. 

Message 15 of 19
Cmikul
Regular Contributor

3 ring binder, tabbed.....

the only thing I really cared to keep were the initial promo length of time offers.  I tend to forget.

All statement are online and I don't really care or need to keep them ....

One thing that I have started keeping are the T&C's. 

Most of the cards have great benefits.  Typically these are overlooked and not used.

I ran into a problem last year where the T&C's of a a certain card could have benefitted me in a lawsuit and helping to make a decision up front saving thousand's of dollars.

I usually can't find these online OR....they get modified or changed thru the lifecycle of the cards maturation.

I do like to have the original T&C's that are mailed to me with the card.....and I keep those handy......

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm finally making progress on my mountain of papers. I have a very large, L-shaped desk (series of desks/tables from IKEA) and now one leg of the L is cleared off and there's just two logical piles - An 'inbox' of things to look at again, but don't need immediate attention and a pile of things to scan. I'm LOVING my new shredder. I left a pile of CC confetti on the kitchen counter to show DH. LOL. I have another pile of papers that need attention and about 8 piles on the floor for which I need to make folders. 

On CC's, I've decided I don't need to keep anything physical, but I'm snapping pics of the expirations of special promotions. (Thanks for the reminder that sometimes those are hard to backtrack and find.) And I have a stack of AMEX stuff that I need to sort out between various cards. Most of which will likely get tossed, but I do want to look it over. 

I'm going to try a new workflow for snail mail. I actually sort of tried it out without running it by DH. I'm just going through it once a week. There's almost zero that we get in the mail that needs any kind of immediate attention. What has been happening for a long while is the mail is brought in through either front or side door, set down just about anywhere. A few choice things are pulled out, opened. I make a couple separate piles (I'm a piler), he doesn't know what they are. I get mad when he 'picks up' and he never knows that I've set things aside for him. I had an area in the family room set up for a mail 'box' and the shredder. I thought DH would skoff, so I planned to move it into my office instead. We've talked about it and compromised - Mail 'box' in family room and shredder and 'further processing' in my office. I ordered a stacking sorter thing from Amazon for that. Should be here in a couple days. 

I still have the other leg of the L. There's a mish-mash of folders taken out of the file cabinet (mostly tax stuff from when I was doing some 'catch up' filing earlier this year) and small boxes and piles of stuff that has been pulled out of my purse/bag/wallet as I move from one to the next. I've gotten better at cleaning out my wallet and purse and snapping pics and/or tossing receipts in a timely manner. But there's a graveyard of stuff to go through from the busy periods when things just got shoved out of the way. 

Thanks for all your help. I'm feeling good about the progress! 

Over one of the next vacations, 

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep everything but bought those cheap accordion folders in plastic that have the elastic folder. In that I stick the terms and conditions for the cards and the original paper the card came attached to. I toss all the evelopes. THen the other accordion folder holds all my denials so I know what and when I applied for something.  I also use a spreadsheet for the pertinent stuff like APR, balance, CL, last request for CLI and next time to request a CLI. 

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

One day i was feeling organized and i made a three ring binder for credit stuff. Lol even made tabs for each card and one for mail prequals. And kept a list of app dates, approvals and limits, etc...🤗

I have used that ONE time since i made it. 🤔

I still get some paper statements for some bills, because i kind of like the reminder on paper but most cc's are online.

I also utilize my yahoo email folders. I have a folder for each card (ex: discover, capital one, lowes) and every email from each one I automatically save to those. Nice to have them all in one place if i ever want any info.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.