Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Activating American Exxpress Additional Card

tag
ngoaa
New Contributor

Question About Activating American Exxpress Additional Card

Hello Fico's,

I added a sibling as an additional card user on my BCE account. Of course, being that the sibling is only 15, I don't plan on giving the actual card to the said person until the person reaches the age of 18, sort of like a high school graduation +18th birthday present. Here's the deal: I haven't opened the envelope yet because I rather the person open it instead (would-you-give-an-open-present-to-someone type of thing) so the card remains inactivated till this day. Will American Express eventually cancel the card if it is to remain inactivated + unused for the next two years or so? Does this also mean that if inactivated + unusued, the card won't be reported? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ptkdude
Regular Contributor

Re: Question About Activating American Exxpress Additional Card

I'd say activate the card; It may expire before they turn 18.  If you want them to be able to open the envelope, order a replacement card a few weeks before they turn 18. They can open and activate that one. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think if it is not activated eventually the AU account will never fully generate. Why don't you activate it, and order a replacement card on the 18th birthday? Once activated, it won't require any use at all.

Message 3 of 4
ngoaa
New Contributor

Wow... I have NO IDEA why that didn't cross my mind. Thanks for pointing that out, ptkdude and jd5189! 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.