Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Authorized User

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question About Authorized User

I'm hoping someone on here might have an answer or insight for me.

Long story short, I was denied by Citi for a AAdvantage Gold Visa in February (after being sent 4+ offers in the mail, and battling with them through letters and phone calls, but that's another story). They gave me a plethora of different reasons why, but it all seemed like a bunch of garbage to me.

Anyway, my boss today mentioned that he wanted to get me set up as an AU for his CitiBusiness AAdvantage Visa credit account for work use. I was wondering, if I was an AU on his CitiBusiness card, would that possibly enable me to be in the green as far as approval is concerned with Citi if I wanted to try to reapply for a personal AAdvantage card of my own? They have really good milage promos going on right now for new customers, and I live far from my family and would love to take advantage of this! (no pun intended Smiley Wink )

I'm an AU on my parents' United Milage Plus Visa Signature through Chase, and when I applied for the Chase Freedom card they approved me without even checking my credit, but I do have a checking account through Chase so I'm not sure if that made any bit of a difference.

As far as my credit is concerned, I have that aformentioned United card, the Chase Freedom ($2k), the Discover More Card ($500), and a store account through WFNNB ($350). I also have two student loans that have been paid off. I do, however, have 6 hard inquires from within the past two years reported on my TU report. My TU score, according to creditkarma.com is 690.

Any info would be great.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question About Authorized User

Any ideas?

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'd only allow myself to be added if I had 100% control over the balance as an AU. In other words, I wouldn't want my employer to pay late or have a balance report in a way that hurts my credit. I also wouldn't do it if the account was new (already added 5 new TLs this past year; don't need any more). However, if it was implied I HAD to be an AU, and my job depended on it, then I'd do it knowing that I could remove myself later on due to the AU status. I don't know if this card would help your chances for the other, or at least not in the beginning due to the new credit, but maybe later on. Citi does like to see that you have other Citi accounts.

Message 3 of 5
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

Unless you can see the full history report of that CC, DON'T. When billing is handle by people in finance department, they pay LATE all the time.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 4 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

This was sort of assumed in the responses I guess, but I am curious whether it was expressly considered.  Would this report to the AUs personal CR?  Don't business CCs typically only report to a person's business report.  I know I've read about one of the so-called advantages of a business card is that it is a hidden trade line.  Is it different when you are added as an AU to a business card?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.