Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Citi DC CL's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question About Citi DC CL's

I've noticed that most people on these forums have Citi DC CLs that are on average from $2,000-8,000 and usually not much more than that.  I myself started at $6,000 and saw a thread on here where you could request up to a 4x CLI and maybe have a chance of getting approved.  I followed the steps and got a nice bump from $6,000 to $24,000 (requested for $25,000).  Has anyone else tried for this and had success with it?   

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Question About Citi DC CL's

@Anonymous wrote:

I've noticed that most people on these forums have Citi DC CLs that are on average from $2,000-8,000 and usually not much more than that.  I myself started at $6,000 and saw a thread on here where you could request up to a 4x CLI and maybe have a chance of getting approved.  I followed the steps and got a nice bump from $6,000 to $24,000 (requested for $25,000).  Has anyone else tried for this and had success with it?   

I didn't go for 25k, but I did go from a starting limit of 2.5k to 10k. I aimed high (in my view) with the 10k. Didn't want to go crazy, as I had added another card recently, and didn't want my overall limits to suddenly skyrocket. Credit limits vs income can come into play. My income is far from huge so 25k on a single card is not necessary for me personally. 10k is perfect. Enough to spend on comfortably without large util.

But yeah, if you want a decent limit on a Double Cash you almost always have to take that second HP. I never heard of it being "4x" or any specific amount though. Just ask for what you want and they will approve, offer something lower, or decline.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I figured they would of HP me because of the huge CLI.  Surprisingly though neither of my 3 reports showed a HP from Citi, I don't know if I just got really lucky or something slipped through the cracks, but I'm not complaining at all.  

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the CLI!  Can you please provide some details on your scores for the approval and also how long you waited to ask for the CLI?  Was it on activation?

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the CLI!  Can you please provide some details on your scores for the approval and also how long you waited to ask for the CLI?  Was it on activation?

I would be interested to know this as well. I just got my first DC statement and was wondering how long I should wait before requesting a CLI.

Also, OP, I am assuming you called Citi?

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It wasn't on activation,  I was initially bumped from a $2k SL to $6k on activation. After 6 months of the initial bump is when I requested for the $25k limit.   As for my scores I think my TU (Discover) and EQ (Citi)  were both around 740-750 at the time of requesting for the CLI.

Message 6 of 15
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah I figured they would of HP me because of the huge CLI.  Surprisingly though neither of my 3 reports showed a HP from Citi, I don't know if I just got really lucky or something slipped through the cracks, but I'm not complaining at all.  

Well, whatever happened, that's pretty sweet. My DC was PC'ed from the Dividend, and I was trickling along with little SP CLIs, but last month when I did the SP CLI, Citi decided to bump it from $4,200 to $7,200 in one fell swoop. That still doesn't get to your level of limits, but given that this is my non-category card (along with my QS), it's not too bad. If I ever have a giant charge coming that I want to put on it (of course, provided my checking has enough cash to pay for it in full), I will call Citi and take a HP to either bump it up on its own or move the limit from my Diamond Preferrred (at $7,200 after last month's SP CLI, which actually grew even more, by $3500). I wonder if that had to happen, Citi could use the same HP to first do a CLI on its own and then move the DP limit. Hmm...

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't call Citi, was done all online.  I followed someones guide/post that was on these forums and they recommended just doing it online if I remember correctly.  

Message 8 of 15
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It wasn't on activation,  I was initially bumped from a $2k SL to $6k on activation. After 6 months of the initial bump is when I requested for the $25k limit.   As for my scores I think my TU (Discover) and EQ (Citi)  were both around 740-750 at the time of requesting for the CLI.

Ahh that makes more sense. I never requested a different limit from what the system automatically offered from the SP CLI, fearing it'd be a hard pull. But if it's not.. I wonder what's going to happen in 6 months for me ;-)

Message 9 of 15
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Awesome cli.....
was debating getting this card and closing 2 1/2 yr. old simplicity w/21.99%since I have offer for 15 mths 0% then 12.99%.......

*Edit- does free fico also come w/ DC ?Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.