Did you mean: 

Question About Discover IT Cashback

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question About Discover IT Cashback

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The more i think about how Discover does things, The more i don't like it, The fact that the card is NOT accepted in a lot of places plus the fact that you need to accumulate at  least $50 to collect your Rewards makes them undesirable, in the future when i decide to close one of my accounts i think Discover will be the first one to go....

This is not quite true. You can redeem your rewards with as little as $20, if you buy gift cards. Lots of $25 partner gift cards are available for $20 in cashback.

And if you buy stuff at Amazon, you can redeem Discover rewards there starting as little as a few cents.  So, that makes their reward redemption immediate, unless you don't buy from Amazon.

Message 11 of 34
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So for the last quarter of the Discover IT Cashback Rewards, the category will be Department Stores & Online Shopping. Now, there are also deals going on in the ShopDiscover store like 5% cashback, 10% cashback, etc. Would these deals be in addition to the set 5% cashback on the category for the quarter?

So for example, BestBuy's deal right now through ShopDiscover is 5% cashback. Is that in addition to the 5% cashback for the category of Department Stores & Online Shopping, totalling 10% cashback? 

You can stack up ShopDiscover points. E.g. if Nordstrom.com is generally offering 5% through ShopDiscover, and 5% extra for festive season, and you get 5% from quarterly bonus on online shopping, you'll get 15% total CB. However it is only on net spend, not tax+shipping (as per ShopDiscover rules). On tax+shipping, you will get the 5% quarterly bonus only.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/help-center/faqs/shopdiscover-CBB.html#q6

Message 12 of 34
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

I have had no acceptance issues with my Discover. Matter of fact I was in the Bahamas 2 weeks ago on vacation and Discover was my primary card. With their excellent CS and 2% back with every international purchase. Can't go wrong with that. Even small merchants within the town of Nassau accepted Discover. Discover has always treated me well, therefore I give them business. We both remain happy campers.
Message 13 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jaylima91 wrote:
I have had no acceptance issues with my Discover. Matter of fact I was in the Bahamas 2 weeks ago on vacation and Discover was my primary card. With their excellent CS and 2% back with every international purchase. Can't go wrong with that. Even small merchants within the town of Nassau accepted Discover. Discover has always treated me well, therefore I give them business. We both remain happy campers.

2% international purchases?  What Discover was this?  Chrome?

Message 14 of 34
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

No I don't have the Chrome version. Discover IT. Back in March Discover offered me 2% back with every international purchase until the end of December 2014. I believe it's for the first $1500 in purchases but that's perfect for me as I don't go international too often. Call Discover and they should still have that offer.
Message 15 of 34
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

They may not have that offer though. I called before I went to the Bahamas to confirm I still had the offer on my account and she didn't know what I was talking about until she checked my Cashback Bonus offers and saw i signed up for it back in March.
Message 16 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jaylima91 wrote:
They may not have that offer though. I called before I went to the Bahamas to confirm I still had the offer on my account and she didn't know what I was talking about until she checked my Cashback Bonus offers and saw i signed up for it back in March.

Unfortunately, there are no Bahamas trips in my near future, but it's good info to have for the future.  I would never have thought of checking Discover offers for international trips, until now.  Thanks.

Message 17 of 34
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Anytime. I used to always check Discover Deals until I called one day and they told me I should call them occasionally because sometimes they have deals over the phone that don't show up in their Deals page. So since then I just call them up for the latest cashback deals.
Message 18 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

On acceptance, see this recent piece from WSJ:  Discover (in the US) close to V/MC

http://blogs.wsj.com/totalreturn/2014/08/28/discover-credit-card-has-risen-in-rankings-and-acceptanc...

BN-EH547_0828di_G_20140828081204.jpg

Message 19 of 34
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker nice find. Accurately dictates the rapid growth Discover has gone through.
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.