Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: Choosing the Right Travel Card

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Question: Choosing the Right Travel Card

@Anonymous wrote:

The JetBlue Plus is 2x on dining and groceries. I put nearly 1000 points on per month, and I don't even use it for 100% of groceries. Dining also includes fast food, which most dining rewards don't. Not trying to refute as much as I'm trying to give the whole picture. Smiley Happy

Right, but potentially the EDP is a 3.6x point card for groceries for Jetblue. That is 3x MR plus the 50% point bonus, or 4.5 MR points, which translates to 3.6 points using the 5:4 transfer ratio from MR to Jetblue. Incidentally, I haven't used any cards that has a dining category that doesn't code fast food as dining.

On a related note, Amex would do much better to add a dining category to its "everyday" cards. Dining out is, for many people, a near everyday affair, or pretty close,

Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Delta card is for people who specifically fly Delta and wish to avoid baggage fees (imo). It's worth it after 2 round trip flights with Delta or 1 round trip flight if you're travling with someone else (assuming nothing else is waving the fees). If you fly Delta and you're the one planning the trip or paying for the flight portion and it's with a family (like 4 ppl or such) then the card would be worth it just for that alone. I would never use my Delta card to pay for a flight though as I have both the Plat and Biz Plat. 2 Skypoints per dollar will not get you anywhere and cannot compare with my 10 MR points per dollar. You're better off earning Membership Reward points or UR points. You'll have to do the same with the JetBlue card and make sure it has some worth... if the points will not get you anywhere (like Delta's) then it's no point in getting it for the rewards alone.

Also, unless you fly alot, you shouldn't even worry about airline status. I took 11 vacations last year and still didn't reach a status and all flights were Delta. You got to be willing to spend some big money on flights (or 25k on any Delta AmEx card) to get a status. And since I look for discounted fares and sales, my chance at status is non-existant rare. That goes for pretty much any airline.

Just my 2 cents Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Weighing in as a frequent traveler ....

I could get one of the Delta cards that sometimes offers free upgrades to business class, as far as I know JetBlue does not offer this. Any thoughts on the perks of larger airlines like Delta/American compared to the more economy-focus airlines like JetBlue?

Take Delta and AA cards entirely out of equation.  Their earnings are very very low, it would take years in order to have enough miles for a free flight.  To even be eligible for upgrades you need to fly 25K miles per year on AA or Delta, and you still are unlikely to actually get one.

I just want to choose one airline to build loyalty with over the long term

Please forget the concept of building loyalty with an airline, any airline, as a casual traveler.  Airlines only care about travelers who spend a lot of money, period.  Book flights based on price and schedule, not out of any ideas about loyalty

the reason I fly JetBlue is because of the "luxuriousness" of their "economy" class.

I actually flew Jet Blue last week, for the first time in more than 5 years.  I remembered them being pretty "luxurious".  But I have to say they haven't kept up with carriers like Delta.  They do have a nice amount of legroom, Fly-Fi was nice, snacks were better than average, but overall it felt dated and worn IMO.

I've heard a lot of good things about CSP and CSR. However, if I plan on travelling nearly exclusively on one airline (such as JetBlue), do the airline specific cobranded cards offer more value?

Not necessarily.  I fly nearly exclusively on Delta, but I used my CSR to book flights, not my Delta Amex.  3 UR > 2 Skymiles, and the travel protection is much better with the CSR.

Heavily leaning towards applying for the JetBlue Plus Card. Does anyone have a reason not to do so before I take the plunge?

YES!  Have you checked out the reward redemption's?  Tried booking any dummy flights?  This is the key.  6x points and 2x points sounds great, but what does that get you?  Estimate how much spend you'll put on the card, and how many points that will net you, and see what the rewards are really worth.

I think you should consider the CSR.

As mentioned above, the $450 AF is really only $150.  The $300 travel credit is broad and couldn't be simpler to use.  I receomend it to anyone who does at least some travel, and does a fair amount of dining out.  It earns 3 pts on travel and dining, travel includes parking, tolls, Uber, public transport etc., so not just the obvious.  So you can rack up points quickly, and then the redemption options are very flexible as well.  You can transfer them to airline programs, which besides Southwest, may not be the best option for a domestic budget traveler.  The other option is to book through the Chase portal and get 1.5 pts/dollar.  This takes your earnings on dining and travel to 4.5%.  There is no minimum redemption, you can mix $'s and points, it's truly easy to use.  If you combine it with a Freedom and a FU, then you can spend those points earned at 1.5 pts/dollar as well.  Finally the CSR has great travel protection that will cover your entire group, and primary rental car coverage.  Oh and the in branch 100K point sign up bonus is hugely valuable

Wow, thanks for the great response! I've been looking into CSR after reading this, I'm pretty interested now. However, I'm a bit hesitant because I'm worried about getting declined. A few questions about that:  For Chase's 5/24 rule, do store cards count? If Store Cards (such as amazon prime store card, jcpenney store card, best buy story card, etc.) count towards that then I'm at like 8/24. However, if they do not count, I'm only at 3/24. Secondly, does anyone have data points for CSR approvals? I'm at a 707 TU score. Some things I've looked at recommend a 720+ score for the CSR. Just don't want the HP if I don't have a realistic shot at the card.

Assuming I do apply and get approved, how does the $450 annual fee work? I'm new to AF cards. Is the $450 added to my first statement or required to be paid before the card can be used or something else?

Thanks again for all the help!

Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

(This is weird, I've tried replying to sillykitty1 twice, both times the reply didn't show up. Here we go again.)

Thanks for all the great replies! My interest in CSR is high. However, I have a few questions. With Chase's 5/24 rule, do store cards count (such as Macy's, JCPenney, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.)? If they DO count, I'm at 8/24. If they DON'T count, I'm at 3/24. Also, my score last I checked was at 707 TU from February 3rd. However, since then I've paid down my utiilization from 31% to about 5%. But, I have also had three HPs the past month, including applying and getting approved for AMEX BCP and Chase Disney Premier. Does my credit score and recent activity result in a good or bad chance at CSR approval? Also, a quick question about what Chase will see on my report. My last Disco statment had me at $991 out of $1k balance. I paid that off AFTER the current statement cut (paid about 2 weeks ago). Will the credit report Chase looks at still show my DISC at nearly full utilization? Or will my payment be already reflected? Do I need to wait until the new statement is cut in 2 weeks? If so, I'll miss the 100k point branch offer.

Also, as far as I know, Visa Infinite products have a 10k SL minimum. My highest CL at the moment is 3k, will that negatively impact me?

Finally, how is the annual fee processed? I'm new to AF cards. Is it applied to my first month's statement? Is it required before activating the card? Something else?

Thanks again for all the help! Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The JetBlue Plus is 2x on dining and groceries. I put nearly 1000 points on per month, and I don't even use it for 100% of groceries. Dining also includes fast food, which most dining rewards don't. Not trying to refute as much as I'm trying to give the whole picture. Smiley Happy

Right, but potentially the EDP is a 3.6x point card for groceries for Jetblue. That is 3x MR plus the 50% point bonus, or 4.5 MR points, which translates to 3.6 points using the 5:4 transfer ratio from MR to Jetblue. Incidentally, I haven't used any cards that has a dining category that doesn't code fast food as dining.

On a related note, Amex would do much better to add a dining category to its "everyday" cards. Dining out is, for many people, a near everyday affair, or pretty close,

Good info, yfan! I don't know much about EDP and transferring points. I ljust wanted to share about some aspects of the JetBlue Plus that OP might want to know. Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep responding to this thread, by my replies keep either not going through or are getting deleted. No idea why.

Anyways, thanks for all the great responses! A few more questions, as I'm not very interested in the CSR. First, about the 5/24 rule. Does this take store cards into account (ie. Best Buy, Macy's, Amazon, etc)? If so, I am 8/24. But if the store cards do NOT count, I'm safe at 3/24.

Also, what are the general data points for getting approved for a CSR? I'm a bit scared of getting declined for such a premium card considering my limited credit history and recent inquiries. I have a 709 TU, although that is being held down by a high utilitization from last statement that has since been paid off. According to myFICO's simulator, my score should jump up to about 750 once statements/reports show that I've paid off my debt. Also, I've had 4 HPs this month. I applied and got accepted for AMEX BCP and Chase Disney Premier as well as a couple HP CLIs. Considering all of this, what are my chances at getting accepted for CSR? The 100k point in-branch offer ends beginning of March, and I'd hate to miss that. But, if I likely won't get approved, I'll just wait until my paid off debt shows up on my report and my HPs are further in the past.

Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any kind of credit card counts towards 5/24...that includes store cards.

Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to clarify, I mean the store cards that are NOT Visas/MC. I'm talking about the ones that can ONLY be used in that store, no anywhere else. They count towards the 5/24 as well?

Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to clarify, I mean the store cards that are NOT Visas/MC. I'm talking about the ones that can ONLY be used in that store, no anywhere else. They count towards the 5/24 as well?

Yeah Chase doesn't distinguish. Any new accounts.

Message 29 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah Chase doesn't distinguish. Any new accounts.

I can now see why this rule from Chase is so unpopular. Smiley Sad

I guess that means it's a go for JetBlue Plus for the next 24 months, then I can consider getting in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.