Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Question] Having a credit card before having SSN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

[Question] Having a credit card before having SSN

Hi all,

I got my first chase freedom 3 months before I received my SSN. I requested CL increase twice before I associated SSN to the card. I was informed that two requests incurred two HPs. My question is, did the two HPs really affect my credit score since those happened even before I had SSN. 

It's only 5 months since I got my credit card, I wonder if I can use soft pull to inquiry my credit score. Since Kroger and Progressive have sent me some prescreened offers, I think that my credit score has been generated. However, I heard that credit scores are not available until one's credit history is longer than half a year.

So I'm not sure if I can know my score and if the two HPs affected my score.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

Re: [Question] Having a credit card before having SSN

Pull your reports using myFico or Credit Karma. Let us know what you find.
CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 2 of 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

You can try the free services like CreditKarma (TU)  Quizzle (EQ) CreditSesame, Credit (EX) and see how far you can get.  HPs will be visible just ignore the scores as they are all Fakos. You can also try to buy your Fico from here and if not possible it will not be charged.  

Message 3 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

You can try the free services like CreditKarma (TU)  Quizzle (EQ) CreditSesame, Credit (EX) and see how far you can get.  HPs will be visible just ignore the scores as they are all Fakos. You can also try to buy your Fico from here and if not possible it will not be charged.  

Or annualcreditreport.com will allow you to pull your reports for free once a year. 

Message 4 of 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Or annualcreditreport.com will allow you to pull your reports for free once a year. 

+1 ...just do not buy the scores there..it is Fako  as well

Message 5 of 7
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

I could tell you for sure that the hps are on your report. I got my first two credit cards before my social and I didn't associate my social with one of them even now. The inquires are on my credit report

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 6 of 7
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:
I could tell you for sure that the hps are on your report. I got my first two credit cards before my social and I didn't associate my social with one of them even now. The inquires are on my credit report

+1

I don't have a SSN and the HPs are on my report. They will still be there when I get my SSN. They do affect the score. I got my FICO score from Discover a few days before my 6th statement. I got letters from Capital One and Discover since my 3rd month.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.