Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Regarding Balance Transfer

tag
PowerMan572
Contributor

Question Regarding Balance Transfer

I did a balance transfer to a credit card for $5k. We moved into a house and it needed quite a bit of work done. Anyway, I think I messed up. Here's my dilemma:

I did a balance transfer of $5k, but then I put another $10k in purchases on the card. I paid off $10k immediately to bring the balance back down to $5k. Will that $10k I paid off count towards the new purchases or is it going to go towards the $5k balance transfer and essentially pay it off? If this is the case, then basically I screwed up the balance transfer and am I going to start seeing interest on my monthly statements? Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Question Regarding Balance Transfer

Depends on whether or not you had any promotional APRs on your account. If no, then your payment beyond the minimum essentially went towards whatever has the highest interest rate, whether it's the BT or the standard purchases.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Question Regarding Balance Transfer

Your card came with terms that explain how payments are allocated.  Generally with consumer cards the minimum is applied however the creditor applies it and anything over the minimum goes to higher APR balances first.

Keep in mind that unless you also have 0% on purchases that you will lose your grace period on purchases.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.