cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AAdvantage points VS.... Whoever?

tag
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Question about AAdvantage points VS.... Whoever?

So I have a research question for my friend.

Through AA.com he purchased 150k miles AAdvantage miles and received a 120k mileage bonus for a total of $4,791.88 (tax and fees included). So that's 270k miles for $4791.88 on his Citi AAdvantage WEMC. I was wondering if there were any other airline/travel ideas to gain in value or miles. My friend flies several times a year to China and SE Asia for business and found that using points to upgrade to Business Class seemed cheaper than an outright purchase of a Business Class seat. Any tips would be nice. 

Thanks for reading.

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
8 REPLIES 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Question about AAdvantage points VS.... Whoever?

You can get some bonus miles from biz apps Citi and Barclays , also another 50k from Barclays personal should net you about 150k aa miles. As far as best usage for those miles , i would look at AA to CX for non stop flight to HKG from USA in J 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 9
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

You can get some bonus miles from biz apps Citi and Barclays , also another 50k from Barclays personal should net you about 150k aa miles. As far as best usage for those miles , i would look at AA to CX for non stop flight to HKG from USA in J 

YA, He's looking into HKG now. As far as miles, he's already purchased the max amount (through AAdvantage) per calendar year. He could also be gifted him up to 200k miles per calendar year. The only other pts offered are through Barclay's AAdvantage card. Except getting that HP doesn't seem to be worth it at the moment. He does have Alaska miles via BoA but he's not sure about going that route after having a not so pleasant experience on Emirates (partner airlines with Alaska) last week.

Updated Feb 2023:

Business Cards:

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 3 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For the Alaska miles, Cathay Pacific is also a partner. Other roundabout ways to get AA would be via Marriott. Tons of Amex and Chase cards with big signup bonuses that can transfer to Marriott (MR and UR cards in addition to Starwood and Marriott cards), and with the 5k bonus you get 2.4:1 transfer to AA.
Message 4 of 9
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

If AA miles are that useful that your buying them in mass quantities I would get a cobranded card. You would get the SUB and be able to earn those miles directly from the CC spend. That would be the ideal situation IMO.

Buying miles in certain situations can be useful but airlines know the value of their miles and make it hard to extract a better value than you purchased for. The buy mileage option is intended more for buying the required mileage to redeem for an award your close to.

Citi and Barclays both offer the AA credit cards so you have your choice in bank.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ow is not a strong player in Asia market. At least not yet.

Is flying UAL or DAL out of question for your friend?
Message 6 of 9
CramEiko
Established Contributor

I found out another fun fact on trying to share miles back to him. It costs money to "share" the miles you just purchased to another AAdvantage member. When you read their "share" miles section of their website it says that there is a $15 transfer fee. Ok, so you are allowed to "share" up to 200k miles each calendar year @ 50,000 miles cap per transaction. So I'm ok with $60 processing fee. HOWEVER, there are more fee's that now show. When the max of 50,000 miles are chosen to share it says 50,000 = $625.00. So being that I'm now confused and possibly going to be charged again for the miles I just bought, I called AA. They confirmed that max "sharing" of 50,000 miles would indeed cost $625 + the $15 transfeer fee. Now my $60 transfer fee climbed to $2,560 to share 200,000 of the 270,000 that I just bought for nearly $2,800. What a Cruddy deal for someone that may just want to give away Miles as gifts gifts. Anyways, by the end of the phone call with AA, the rep mentioned to just have him book under my AA# to use the points. 

Thanks for reading!

Updated Feb 2023:

Business Cards:

Message 7 of 9
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Transferring miles in a airline program that doesn’t allow pooling is the worst thing you can. It’s right up there with buying miles with the exception of certain situations.

As I said before airlines know the value of their points and aren’t going to let you buy miles for cheaper then what they are worth even during sales.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There shouldn't be such a big fee for gifting miles though, isn't it enough that you're simply buying mile from them? Over priced as they may be. Then they want to tack on a transfer fee, which $15 isn't bad. But an additional $600+ on top? 

That seems like some sort or racket righ there!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.