Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AMEX payments.

tag
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Question about AMEX payments.

Hello,

I have a quick question. I have a AMEX Zync Card. Amex is not allowing me to make any more charges until I pay my bill. Can I make a full payment, including the pending charges? The pending charges hasn't been posted, but I have I have the funds to pay Amex.

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about AMEX payments.

Yes you can go to the website. I have done it in the past where I pay all of the current balance; and then schedule a second payment for the pending charges within the same login session. You must have hit your internal limit. For future use; you can use the check spend ability feature to check your ability before you hit the limit. I did this in the early phases of my account to make sure that the zync could handle my travel expenses. I am now over 6k in spend ability so there is no need for me to worry or use that button again.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 11
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much. I am sure my internal limit will increase once Amex gets to know my spending habits. I opened the ZYNC about a month ago. I guess I am still a "risk" for them... LOL
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.

Message 3 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You'll be fine. What I did in the first 2 months after I knew my internal limit was at least 1500 I would charge 1400 then PIF I did this twice. Then I checked it at 2500... so then I just charged 2400 then PIF. I did this about 3 times. I got my card in Feb. By June I spent 5780 in one month and paid in full about 10 days before the "please pay by" date. Now; I try to pay before statement cuts. Every now and then a small charge sneaked through and I have a payment due of less than 10 bucks.
FICO 9:

Message 4 of 11
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. I'll do that. Smiley Happy
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.

Message 5 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck!
FICO 9:

Message 6 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

As Tinu discovered, you can call them and ask what your internal limit is. I just played with the check spending button a bit but admittedly I think Tinu's option is likely better.

        
Message 7 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:
As Tinu discovered, you can call them and ask what your internal limit is. I just played with the check spending button a bit but admittedly I think Tinu's option is likely better.

Didn't know this ^^… Good information thanks for sharing!
FICO 9:

Message 8 of 11
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Didn't know this ^^… Good information thanks for sharing!

Also, not sure how much truth there is to this, but Amex lore here in the forum has it that the Spending Ability button raises a red flag with them if used too often. I only have a BCP, so I know what my limit is, but...

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 9 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Seven: I suspect there's some amount of truth to it, though as credit consumers his forum (and this board in particular) are often well outside the norm for behavior.

Personally I only did it three times, twice when I initially got the card and then once three weeks in with a 2kish balance; enough to know my internal limit is at least 3200 (which was my ballpark napkin math estimate based on my reported income and expenses) and more than I'd conceivably need on a regular basis anyway.

        
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.