Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AU account

tag
wmweeza
Established Contributor

Question about AU account

My husband and I were talking about credit, and although he has good credit scores he has only 2 lines open; Our mortgage and a health care card so he applied for a Mastercard through his bank and was instantly approved for $20k.

My question is this; He put me as an authorized user of the card. I have read this slightly helps the AU on credit ratings, (I'm confused on how much though) but does this now count as a new account for me? I don't want to apply for any more credit if this counts as a new application for me and not just him.

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about AU account

@wmweeza wrote:

My husband and I were talking about credit, and although he has good credit scores he has only 2 lines open; Our mortgage and a health care card so he applied for a Mastercard through his bank and was instantly approved for $20k.

My question is this; He put me as an authorized user of the card. I have read this slightly helps the AU on credit ratings, (I'm confused on how much though) but does this now count as a new account for me? I don't want to apply for any more credit if this counts as a new application for me and not just him.

It will be treated by scoring as a new account. It will drop your AAoA, it will help with your utilization.It will not be considered a new app against you.  People usually become AU on cards that have some age...

Message 2 of 3
wmweeza
Established Contributor

Re: Question about AU account

He added me thinking "It's my wife, she might need this". I guess I'll go to the garden for 6 months then, thank you for the fast reply!

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.