Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about AU

I want to possibly add my son to my credit cards as an authorized user. They won't really even be used, it really is just so that they are hopefully able to be scored. Right now, they can't really get a phone through major providers or a car loan because they have no credit whatsoever. I am assuming this would help but maybe I am wrong? If it would help I figure I would just add them to all 4 of my cards if possible, which in this case are American Express, Capital One, Discover, and Wells Fargo. How do I go about adding them, and what happens when I do add them. Do I get a hard pull on my credit report, or do they? What is added on there report when I do add them?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Question about AU

For AMEX and CapOne you can add authorized users online yourself, not too sure on the other two but figure a quick phone call to customer service should take care of that. When you add them depending on the bank it may take one or two billing cycles for all 4 cards to show up on their reports. No HPs to speak of most of the time; occasionally we get an odd report or two of pulls being performed but that is few and far in between. With what it will report all of them with the exception of AMEX will backdate everything on the account like payment history, utilization, CL, and so on. AMEX no longer backdates and will be considered "open" on the day they were added on your account.

Message 2 of 13
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

They will probably show up as "user type: authorized user," which means that anyone who looks closely (eg loan officer) will be aware that these are AU cards and not their own cards. But, it'll be calculated in FICO 8 and will probably work for what you are going for. If you call and talk to somebody, I would verify that AUs will show up on all three bureaus. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

For AMEX and CapOne you can add authorized users online yourself, not too sure on the other two but figure a quick phone call to customer service should take care of that. When you add them depending on the bank it may take one or two billing cycles for all 4 cards to show up on their reports. No HPs to speak of most of the time; occasionally we get an odd report or two of pulls being performed but that is few and far in between. With what it will report all of them with the exception of AMEX will backdate everything on the account like payment history, utilization, CL, and so on. AMEX no longer backdates and will be considered "open" on the day they were added on your account.

Everything you said sounds good, that is exactly what I want. I am interested in the bold part above though, who gets that hard pull? Would that be me or my son?

Message 4 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Everything you said sounds good, that is exactly what I want. I am interested in the bold part above though, who gets that hard pull? Would that be me or my son?

I can't recall exactly who got the pull on the rare occasion it happened off the top of my head. If I had to take an educated guess without searching the forums for an answer it'd be the AU being added to the account. I can see if I can find the information if you would like I'm on vacation so I got the time 😂

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

I can't recall exactly who got the pull on the rare occasion it happened off the top of my head. If I had to take an educated guess without searching the forums for an answer it'd be the AU being added to the account. I can see if I can find the information if you would like I'm on vacation so I got the time 😂

If you can find it without to much trouble I would like to know, if not don't bother looking. I simply do not want a hard pull on my credit report, I don't care if my son gets one. I hope you enjoy your vacation btw. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve never had a hard pull when adding my sons to any of my cards.

Message 7 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

There are other topics covering but this one is the best as far as I can tell.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/I-added-authorize-user-to-my-Amex-and-they-di...

And thanks I'm off the clock for two weeks so plan to take advantage of it.

Message 8 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to possibly add my son to my credit cards as an authorized user. They won't really even be used, it really is just so that they are hopefully able to be scored. Right now, they can't really get a phone through major providers or a car loan because they have no credit whatsoever. I am assuming this would help but maybe I am wrong? If it would help I figure I would just add them to all 4 of my cards if possible, which in this case are American Express, Capital One, Discover, and Wells Fargo. How do I go about adding them, and what happens when I do add them. Do I get a hard pull on my credit report, or do they? What is added on there report when I do add them?

Just a note: Please add him only to cards that have extremely low UT.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

That shouldn't be an issue, as I always pay off all my cards, except for 1 at the moment. I had to put a medical expense on it a while ago but it's almost paid off, and it also is still very low utilization with that expense on there. I think that card specifically is 19% and my total is 6% almost 7%. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.