Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Amex

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about Amex

@Metalcards wrote:

I used to have a platinum card and and an optimum card with them before bankruptcy 12 years ago. Burned them for about $20k altogether. I've been blacklisted ever since. I even tried applying for the Wells Fargo propel and was declined because of previous history with Amex.

Thanks for clarifying @Metalcards

As mentioned upthread, the WF denial would have no correlation to American Express National Bank underwriting -- two separate entities.  That said, and as mentioned further above, you can try the AmEx prequalification tool and see what it yields. If denied, no harm, no foul since there's no HP and you'll know where you stand going forward.  

Unfortunately, since AENB 'blacklist' internal records are not synched up with their prequalified offers, it's kind of a gamble to see whether you're still on it or not.  As other members have done, you can keep trying until you're eventually approved.  It hurts nothing because there's no HP, which is a plus.

Message 11 of 13
Metalcards
Regular Contributor

Hey FinStar, how you doing? I did try their preq and was prequalified for 3 different cards which hasn't happen before.

my fear is to app, take a hard pull, and then get declined.

I think I'll just hold off for a while and wait for some inquiries to fall off. Thanks everyone.

Message 12 of 13
jcooks
Established Contributor

@Metalcards wrote:

Hey FinStar, how you doing? I did try their preq and was prequalified for 3 different cards which hasn't happen before.

my fear is to app, take a hard pull, and then get declined.

I think I'll just hold off for a while and wait for some inquiries to fall off. Thanks everyone.

In previous DP's, being on the blacklist will not yield a HP if you apply, just keep in mind YMMV.  The real question is, is it worth a HP to see.  12 years is a while, but being preapproved via their prequal is a good sign.  

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.