Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about BOA (secured) Graduation

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Question about BOA (secured) Graduation

So if you check my signature, I have the (secured) BOA Cash Rewards Card.

As suggested on here I am wating for the 5th month of having the card opened before attempting graduation.

For those who have graduated secured cards, be it BOA or another lender, is it custom that once the card graduates they provide you automatically with a CLI - or does that have to be done separately and at another time?

I am hoping that is done @ graduation - but I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong on that.

First graduation attempt starts September 18th Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about BOA (secured) Graduation

For BoA if you call and ask for the early graduation, and it is approved, then I believe you (or the CSR) will have to ask for the CLI

If denied for CLI you can try recon, but you should probably be able to get something

Message 2 of 22
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For BoA if you call and ask for the early graduation, and it is approved, then I believe you (or the CSR) will have to ask for the CLI

If denied for CLI you can try recon, but you should probably be able to get something

This is very similar to what @AllZero's Macro's saySmiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 22
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is very similar to what @AllZero's Macro's saySmiley Very Happy

+3 😃

Message 4 of 22
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

As suggested on here I am wating for the 5th month of having the card opened before attempting graduation.

For those who have graduated secured cards, be it BOA or another lender, is it custom that once the card graduates they provide you automatically with a CLI - or does that have to be done separately and at another time?

I am hoping that is done @ graduation - but I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong on that.

Today was the first attempt. CSR asked if I also wanted a CLI, I said yes, I asked what she suggested (in my mind I wanted to say $3K-$5K) she recommended that I try small, so I said OK $2K. After she submitted the application, she said I would be contacted via mail - which to me reads DENIED. Ugh Smiley Mad. Here's to next month's attempt.

Potential Future Cards
Message 5 of 22
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

5 months may be a bit early. I got a BoA secured card with the minimum $300 deposit back in 2015 as I had included a BoA card in my 2010 BK7. I got it unsecured around 8 months. Then a few months later I got it upgraded to a Cash Rewards card, today it has a $5k CL BoA doesn't seem to give auto CLIs and I haven't asked for a CLI in a couple years, I don't use that much.

Message 6 of 22
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

i would give it more time. i called in at 8 months. they unsecured my BOA card and brought my CL from 1k to 3.2k

dont think 1 month will make a difference in your situation. w/ BOA some people have had success in hitting that CLI button and asking for 99k. i did that once maybe after 1.5years of having my card. got 9.2k total CL. they came back with a counter offer after denying my request for 99k Smiley Happy

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 7 of 22
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

Today was the first attempt. CSR asked if I also wanted a CLI, I said yes, I asked what she suggested (in my mind I wanted to say $3K-$5K) she recommended that I try small, so I said OK $2K. After she submitted the application, she said I would be contacted via mail - which to me reads DENIED. Ugh Smiley Mad. Here's to next month's attempt.

So I got the decision in the mail today and it stated the reason for denial was "Your Credit Card account has been open for less than 5-months" besides the fancy verbiage about the economy yadda yadda Smiley Happy TBH, it was opened exactly 5 months at the time, but whatever. Going to take the advice of @DaveInAZ and @kudosalert and wait to at least 8-months before trying again.

Potential Future Cards
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

So If I can piggt back on this question - I've had my BofA Secured Card for I believe 4-5 years now (It's been so long, I don't remember the exact year). I put down the initial $300 depost and then about 1 year later, received an auto $300 CLI. I've since then used and paid the card off multiple times, and requested graduations multiple times - all denied. I got the secured card in my credit building phase, but have since acquired multiple unsecured cards including one with a $10,000 limit. 

That said, I'm considering closing my BofA secured card before my next annual fee payment in April of 21. The limit is sticking at $600 ..and just seems pointless now- especially with an annual fee. I tried the CLI link that has appeared for years no - only to receive the 7-10 day limit. I'm considering requesting graduation 1 more time before I just opt to close it - as I don't truly need it and  I don't want to keep paying annual fees for nothing. 

Anyone know if the graduation requests cause a HP or a SP? Is it worth it to even bother trying since I have such high limits on other cards?

Message 9 of 22
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

So I got the decision in the mail today and it stated the reason for denial was "Your Credit Card account has been open for less than 5-months" besides the fancy verbiage about the economy yadda yadda Smiley Happy TBH, it was opened exactly 5 months at the time, but whatever. Going to take the advice of @DaveInAZ and @kudosalert and wait to at least 8-months before trying again.

Route is up to you. Monthly graduation request after last graduation denial may not hurt, may help? Waiting 8 months is an option too.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.