cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Bank of America card and more ??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Bank of America card and more ??

My husband is a fairly new US Permanent resident (April of this year). As such, he had to start credit all over again. To date he has a $1200 secured NFCU card, an UNsecured USAA card of $1500, an UNsecured Capital One card of $5000, and a secured Bank of America card of $500. We put $500 down and (wrongly) assumed they would look at his credit and possibly offer him a larger SL. He has no installment loans, so we are going to get a secured loan from Alliant as soon as they approve his membership.
My question is, is it worthwhile to keep the BoA card? In your opinion do you think it will grow with him and possibly graduate in 6 to 12 months? I've read mixed reviews. Also, do you have any further advice for me as far as helping his credit to grow? He wants to buy a new truck in March--it is an 18-wheeler truck and costs about $160,000 so I want his credit to be as good as possible so he'll get offered a competitive interest rate. Thank you!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Bank of America card and more ??

He is also an AU on my Delta AMEX, Amazon Chase, and Sam's club card.
Message 2 of 5
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My husband is a fairly new US Permanent resident (April of this year). As such, he had to start credit all over again. To date he has a $1200 secured NFCU card, an UNsecured USAA card of $1500, an UNsecured Capital One card of $5000, and a secured Bank of America card of $500. We put $500 down and (wrongly) assumed they would look at his credit and possibly offer him a larger SL. He has no installment loans, so we are going to get a secured loan from Alliant as soon as they approve his membership.
My question is, is it worthwhile to keep the BoA card? In your opinion do you think it will grow with him and possibly graduate in 6 to 12 months? I've read mixed reviews. Also, do you have any further advice for me as far as helping his credit to grow? He wants to buy a new truck in March--it is an 18-wheeler truck and costs about $160,000 so I want his credit to be as good as possible so he'll get offered a competitive interest rate. Thank you!

Keep the BoA card. It unsecures in as little as 7 months, and usually with a nice CLI. After that the CLI's are rarely automatic, but if customer-initiated they're usually generous (with a hard pull). 

I started out with a $500 Better Balance Rewards card, and now have over $21K in credit with BoA. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @DeeBee. We'll hang on to it. Take care.
Message 4 of 5
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It takes time to build credit...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.