Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about CC utilization with small limit

tag
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Question about CC utilization with small limit

I've been rebuilding with a Cap 1 Platinum 300 limit for the past couple of months. Whenever the balance gets close to 90$ I pay it off cause I dont want it to go over 30%. My question is during the month can it go over 30% and me not get penalized as long as I've PIF by my statement date and only let 1% or so show?

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about CC utilization with small limit

You can max it out completely if you want during the month.  It only matters what the % is when the statement cuts 

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 12
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Glad to learn that. I've been a little nervous about going over the 30% of the limit. Appreciate the info and reply 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 3 of 12
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Yup. When my plat was $300 I was using about 90% and then paid down before statement so it only reported 8% then PIF. Cap1 bumped me to $1500 really quick ($500 at credit steps mark, then took it to $1500 a couple months after that)

I hit the more button 6mo+1day after the previous increase and they only gave me +$150 tho. $1650 is a weird limit lol.

PC'd to QS at the 1y mark.

Good luck with yours!

Message 4 of 12
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the insight Nomad! Hopefully it'll work that well for me also.  Thanks again 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 5 of 12
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@RSX wrote:

You can max it out completely if you want during the month.  It only matters what the % is when the statement cuts 

This is somewhat incorrect.  The credit card companies usually report to the bureaus between the 24th-31st of the month. Depending on when your statement cuts, this could sync up and help you, or it could be bad timing and hurt you.

I call each CC lender as soon as I receive my card to change my statement date to between the 1st-5th of the month. When the lender reports to the bureaus (24th-31st) my statement cuts shortly after. So in order to reduce my utilization each month, I pay down my card to 10% or less by the 22nd to be safe. After that, I don't put anything else on the card until the day my statement cuts.

Be careful, you don't want to get caught with your pants down... UT% is a temporary credit hit, but if you have something going on (mortgage loan or app'ing for a new card, etc) then this could drop you a few needed points at an important time.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 6 of 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I had that exact same fear early in my credit building! You can put as much as you want on it as long as you pay it down before the statement cuts. USUALLY, lenders report only the statement balance. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 12
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@RSX wrote:

This is somewhat incorrect.  The credit card companies usually report to the bureaus between the 24th-31st of the month. Depending on when your statement cuts, this could sync up and help you, or it could be bad timing and hurt you.

I call each CC lender as soon as I receive my card to change my statement date to between the 1st-5th of the month. When the lender reports to the bureaus (24th-31st) my statement cuts shortly after. So in order to reduce my utilization each month, I pay down my card to 10% or less by the 22nd to be safe. After that, I don't put anything else on the card until the day my statement cuts.

Be careful, you don't want to get caught with your pants down... UT% is a temporary credit hit, but if you have something going on (mortgage loan or app'ing for a new card, etc) then this could drop you a few needed points at an important time.

What??? 

I have several lenders that report outside of 24th-31st of the month time frame. 

Message 8 of 12
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Thanks pinkandgrey! Rebuilding is stressful. I'm new to CC's so I'm just trying to learn all I can. I've scoured this forum the past month and have learned so much about credit that I didn't know existed! Lol  Thanks again   Be well

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 9 of 12
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

I opened the CC on Feb 12th and Cap 1 told me my statement date would be on the 11th every month. Does this not sound normal? Earlier this month I paid it down by the 11th and left 1% on it and that's what was reported to CB

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.