Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Cap1 credit steps

tag
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

Question about Cap1 credit steps

I opened a Cap 1 in mid July, $300 credit steps to $500 after 5th statement. The second statement cut on Monday 9/8 and I called the backdoor number today and got CL doubled to $600.

After reading a bit I noticed that some people got larger CLI than they were originally promised when credit steps kicked. My question is should I expect a larger increase after the 5th statement or just the original $200. I've been charging close to the limit and PIF. I've run about $700 through it in that time period.

Thanks 
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Cap1 credit steps

The fact that you got an increase after 1 month is amazing (for Cap One). But as far as I saw other posts, Cap One likes maxing-out with PIF.
Message 2 of 13
Kartel34
Regular Contributor

My third statement just cut about a week ago. So I called the back door # an got an 300 increase. Now I have to wait an see what type of an increase I'll get with the credit step. If I remember the letter that I received stated it should be around 250.
Message 3 of 13
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

I opened mine in late 4/08- $300 cl

in late 6/08 (after 2nd stmt hit), I called and got $300 cli

in 8/08, credit steps (which was only supposed to be $250 per letter) hit and I got a $500 cli

total cl as of 8/08= 1.1k.  had I not called the backdoor #, I would’ve only been @ 550.

Message 4 of 13
bridgetkaryn
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

I got a $1000 cl with Cap 1 in June 2008. I was enrolled in the credit steps program. 2 statement have cut, (august 25th), I called today, just to see if I could get a CLI, and they gave me $500. YIPPPEEE...  I should get another $500 after the next statement, then I will call every couple of months and ask...

I currently have a balance of -160.00 because I double paid my CC bill... I used the bill pay on cap one's website and that of my banks... too funny...  Oh well...

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

Bridget
Starting Score: 06/2010- EQ 464
01/2012-EQ 512
April Score: EQ 679 4/12TU- 677 EX- 699 (FAKO)
Current Score: 05/2012-EQ 691 4/12TU- 706 EX- 720(FAKO)
Goal Score: 700 by 05/2012- MADE IT!!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 13
adamseve
Established Contributor

What's the backdoor number?
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gonna make my BF do this on his $1k Cap 1 from July.
Are you guys getting hit with inqs for asking for CLI?
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

They do not make a hard inquiry for their decision.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Physicist wrote:
They do not make a hard inquiry for their decision.

Message 9 of 13
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

adamseve wrote:
What's the backdoor number?

You'll find the backdoor numbers in a thread at the top of the credit card forums!
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.