Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Discover and Amazon or Walmart.com gift cards?? UPDATE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Discover and Amazon or Walmart.com gift cards?? UPDATE

So my year Discover cashback match will be up in November, and I have categories chosen on my Discover Card. Two of those categories are Amazon and Walmart.com for October, November, and December.

Can I purchase gift cards from Amazon and Walmart.com to help hit the $1500 limit for that quarter? I would be purchasing them in October for the match (since my year is up in November), and plan on using them for the Holidays.

Will Discover count gift cards toward the 5% spend (and then match it)? Has anyone ever done this?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Question about Discover and Amazon or Walmart.com gift cards??

@Anonymous wrote:
So my year Discover cashback match will be up in November, and I have categories chosen on my Discover Card. Two of those categories are Amazon and Walmart.com for October, November, and December.

Can I purchase gift cards from Amazon and Walmart.com to help hit the $1500 limit for that quarter? I would be purchasing them in October for the match (since my year is up in November), and plan on using them for the Holidays.

Will Discover count gift cards toward the 5% spend (and then match it)? Has anyone ever done this?

Yes, it works, probably best to buy in smaller chunks rather than say one $1,500 purchase

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much!
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would use my Disc to buy a $1500 gift card from Amazon before I got an Amazon Card.  Amazon did call me one time to check with me if my order was valid.

Message 4 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I would get an Amazon card before i got a Chase cardSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 13
cr101
Established Contributor

Have you purchased any and have they counted towards your rewards? Someone on this board mentioned this method for buying cards. I did skimmed the TOS and didn't find anything excluding gift cards from the match. Scared to ask a rep.

Message 6 of 13
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

From what I have gathered, Discover does not participate from level 2 or 3 data from Amazon so all they would see is your merchant and dollar transaction. 

if you are paranoid, just use an odd center number to account for "taxes."

IMO, their bonuses and dollar amounts for their quarter rebate aren't high dollar enough for them to pay for that level of information or try to clawback any cash backs. The only verbiage I have seen is on their cashback debit cards. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have purchased Amazon cards and will be purchasing a couple of Walmart cards to give as Christmas gifts, but I do not know if they counted or not. My cashback match is up next month so I only have this month for Amazon, Target, and Walmart.

I will report back after my cashback match is calculated on my next statement (beginning of November).
Message 8 of 13
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@Kathyups

You can check your rewards without waiting until the end of the quarter. If you go up to the top the page where you pay your bill and click on the menu button, go down to rewards, and click on 5% cash back bonus and scroll down and it will give you breakdown of all 5% and 1% for each quarter for the whole year.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did that and it doesn't show anything for this quarter yet because it just started, and I just ordered the stuff last week lol
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.