Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Discover pre approved and recommended

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about Discover pre approved and recommended

Well... How many new accounts/inqs do you have? And your util? Sure, it's tempting but if your stats are in line and you're seeking to continue establishing history, then why not?
I didnt need the Motiva, but now I'm in with Discover... What could be better for my cred?? Lol (besides my new Amex BCE) LOL tell your coworkers, they'll be jealous ;-) assuming you get approved pahaha!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 11 of 34
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Well history 7 months. Last Inq 10 days ago (on all 3 cr) for Amex Zync. No other Inq since May (Alliant). Util is 1% or so. Always PIF (before statement). Tu 5 EX 4 EQ 7. Inq includes AT&T and 2 CapOne Pulls on all 3 cr in March.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 12 of 34
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Oooooo that short history may be auto denial for some lenders but if you're pre-app'ed... Then I'd say go for it. Inqs drop off in two years any way lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 34
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Well that is exactly what I was thinking. But Amex approved me with NPSL and I checked the Discover site every other week and today it is showing the pre app. So it is only another inq, which will fade over time ...

Message 14 of 34
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Also to OP, AFAIK the IT and the More have the same UW criteria. So if you're pre-approved for one chances are you qualify for the other too, just remember pre-approval isn't a guarantee. 

Message 15 of 34
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Also to OP, AFAIK the IT and the More have the same UW criteria. So if you're pre-approved for one chances are you qualify for the other too, just remember pre-approval isn't a guarantee. 

Just to understand this. I should still go for the pre app one (More) and PC later? Or try the IT right away (even so it is not on the pre app site? If I decide to do so. And yes I know, it is a pre and not an approval.

I will think about it, once I have eaten something and my mind is not at work ...

Message 16 of 34
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@shakalaka wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Just to understand this. I should still go for the pre app one (More) and PC later? Or try the IT right away (even so it is not on the pre app site? If I decide to do so. And yes I know, it is a pre and not an approval.

I will think about it, once I have eaten something and my mind is not at work ...

I don't think they offer pre-approvals for the IT on the website. Possibly by mail offers, but it's not a very well known card yet. It is identical to the IT with the exception of a few perks (no first late payment fee, you can pay up till midnight stuff like that) it is also identical in underwriting, so what I'm trying to say is... Smiley Tongue 

If you want the IT, I would just go for it unless your pre-approval for the more comes with some special welcome offer that the IT doesn't have by itself. For instance, an intro APR, or a cash back bonus if you hit a spending requirement. If you can get the same welcome offer on an IT, I would say you have the same chance of being approved for IT as you do a More. 

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, it is hard to use the word IT when IT is the name of the card Smiley Tongue 

tl;dr : App for IT if you want it, app for more if it has a better welcome offer. 

Message 17 of 34
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Hahahaha how many times can we say it?!

I say... App for motiva, best offer with 15 mos of 0% on bts and prchses. Plus 5% of interest credited back for pay on time, which reduces whatever your after promo rate is by 5%. hope that makes sense!
Message 18 of 34
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Hahahaha how many times can we say it?!

I say... App for motiva, best offer with 15 mos of 0% on bts and prchses. Plus 5% of interest credited back for pay on time, which reduces whatever your after promo rate is by 5%. hope that makes sense!

The motiva seems like a terrible card imho...It is great if you plan on carrying a balance, but all it is trying to do is entice people to carry balances to get 5% of the interest they are paying back..when you could just be not paying interest. 

At least that is how I think it works. It seems that unless you carry a balance you get no rewards...lol

Message 19 of 34
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

That seems true BUT the intro offer of 15 mos 0% on bts and prchses is better than IT or More if I'm not mistaken lol....I use Chase for cashback atm anywho lol

Btw my rate after promo is 19.99%, so if i do carry a balance, my effective rate would be 14.99, but I don't plan to carry one lol EVER. :-) maybe I'll pc it after 15 mos LOL
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.