Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about NFCU Flagship 3% Travel Spending

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Question about NFCU Flagship 3% Travel Spending

Curious - does anything come up travel that usually does not come up travel with daily spend on this card?

For example, by me 7-11 and QuickCheck both code as Gas so any card giving points on Gas would work here.

So besides buying airline tickets or rental cars, what other spending can get you 3% on the Flagship card?

(Don't travel much or right now at all, so trying to see how I can use this card more often besides 2% CB Smiley Happy)

Potential Future Cards
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about NFCU Flagship 3% Travel Spending

Perhaps hotels -but- if you aren't traveling, that's still no real benefit.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 2 of 10
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I've always found it odd that none of the travel cards (or at least none I know of) include gas as travel. It's literally required if you are driving, unless you have an EV. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 3 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@JNA1 wrote:

I've always found it odd that none of the travel cards (or at least none I know of) include gas as travel. It's literally required if you are driving, unless you have an EV. 

But, if you have mowing or landscaping equipment, and purchase quite a bit of fuel (especially in the summer months), is riding a zero-turn mower considered travel? 🤔

Message 4 of 10
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

But, if you have mowing or landscaping equipment, and purchase quite a bit of fuel (especially in the summer months), is riding a zero-turn mower considered travel? 🤔

Point taken, but it seems caps could keep that under control. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 5 of 10
DesertWanderer
Frequent Contributor

I took a vacation last month and all the parking garages I used coded as travel.  Could be helpful on regular spend if you ever have to pay for parking for work, events, etc.  I also got 3% back on attractions such as the aquariums, etc.

Message 6 of 10
Heatt99
Frequent Contributor

Includes--Rideshares, tolls, parking, amusements parks, transit, hotels, motels, any secondary travel booking site, national parks, ferry, and a few others that I can't remember.

I wonder if Turo or AirBnb is coded as travel?

Message 7 of 10
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Heatt99 wrote:

Includes--Rideshares, tolls, parking, amusements parks, transit, hotels, motels, any secondary travel booking site, national parks, ferry, and a few others that I can't remember.

I wonder if Turo or AirBnb is coded as travel?

And oddly enough...  no Marina's but they do have RV parks as a category.  This is, after all,  NAVY and no Marina spend...  Smiley Happy

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 8 of 10
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Taxis, Uber, Lyft, subway fare, bus fare, parking garages, street parking apps, etc.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

Then it sounds like it's time for a BIZ card to me. Smiley LOL

I think Gas is lef out of travel on purpose due to the ambiguity, as it can be used for "commuting" to/from work, or traveling acrosss county as well as for Business use. If it were specified in a certain category someone who racks up a lot of miles per year could hit the ceiling quite fast, if there was a specified earning limit that is.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.