Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about NFCU

tag
monicar2009
New Contributor

Question about NFCU

I have a brother who was honorably  discharged from the army  a few years back because of a medical condition. Am I able to apply to NFCU?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pattycake
Established Contributor

Re: Question about NFCU

@monicar2009 wrote:
I have a brother who was honorably  discharged from the army  a few years back because of a medical condition. Am I able to apply to NFCU?

No, only active duty, retired military, DoD employees or contractors and their families.  I am trying to get my bro-in-law to join so my sister can become a member and so can I.  He is retired AF and works for DoD.  
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 2 of 6
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

NFCU - All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force, retirees and annuitants

USAA - Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated from the military on or after Jan. 1, 1996.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@monicar2009 wrote:

If his medical discharge resulted in a disabillity rating high enough for him to receive a disability pension rather than severance pay he would be eligible to join.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If his medical discharge resulted in a disabillity rating high enough for him to receive a disability pension rather than severance pay he would be eligible to join.

He needs to me a member of NFCU to sponsor you.

Just because he once served does not make him eligible for membership.  Just because someone was once in a qualifier for membership does not mean that they can sposor someone at all times.  Like a happy credit granting bacteria NFCU Membership must be spread by direct contact. 

If he was a member while he served he can sponsor you right now.

If he was never a member he cannot and you do not have a sponsor to join.

Assuming he gets disability pay from the military, or has a Govenrment job that qualifies, he can become a member and sponsor you. Does he have an unexpired ID card?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

He needs to me a member of NFCU to sponsor you.

Just because he once served does not make him eligible for membership.  Just because someone was once in a qualifier for membership does not mean that they can sposor someone at all times.  Like a happy credit granting bacteria NFCU Membership must be spread by direct contact. 

If he was a member while he served he can sponsor you right now.

If he was never a member he cannot and you do not have a sponsor to join.

Assuming he gets disability pay from the military, or has a Govenrment job that qualifies, he can become a member and sponsor you. Does he have an unexpired ID card?

My understainding is that 'IF' his medical discharge is with paid disability, then the brother would be qualifed to join.  And if he joins, then he is eligible to sponsor any first degree relative or household member.

My understanding is based upon the "retirement" or "annuitant" (which means monthly payments) as a qualifer.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.