Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Product Change

tag
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Question about Product Change

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions for those who have done a Product Change through Citi or know of some information regarding PC's. I currently have the Citi ThankYou Preferred for College Students and looking at the ThankYou program, it's not as great as I would've liked and honestly am looking to change to a separate card. I have no interest through Feburary 2, and most likely wouldn't be making any changes until after that date, but is it relatively easy to do a PC with Citi or is it something I can expect to be a HP? My ideal card would be the Citi DC card, but since I've only had the TY card opened since June, should I wait out until I have more use on it?

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Question about Product Change

@Matt9543 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions for those who have done a Product Change through Citi or know of some information regarding PC's. I currently have the Citi ThankYou Preferred for College Students and looking at the ThankYou program, it's not as great as I would've liked and honestly am looking to change to a separate card. I have no interest through Feburary 2, and most likely wouldn't be making any changes until after that date, but is it relatively easy to do a PC with Citi or is it something I can expect to be a HP? My ideal card would be the Citi DC card, but since I've only had the TY card opened since June, should I wait out until I have more use on it?

I've PCed Citi cards twice and never gotten a HP. I don't think I've heard of others reporting HPs.

There would be some additional delay and complexity if you wanted to PC to an AF card, but that's not relevant here.

My main concern is that Citi may tell you that a PC to a DC is not allowed because college student cards are considered some separate group.

I suggest you call and ask. Keep in mind Citi is not known for having the best-informed customer service reps. PC if they allow you to, but if you're told "no"...the CS rep may be right...or may be wrong. I suggest you wait to apply for a non-student card.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

With regards to changing the Citi Thank You Preferred for Students...I had that card and since PC'ed. I got the card 7/2017, and in 7/2018 (over 12 months after opening. Not saying that's a rule, that's just when I asked), I PC'ed it to the Citi Double Cash with ZERO issues. They warn you that your thank you points will go bye-bye, and you have X days to revert the decision. But I converted it less than a month ago, and it's been the best decision I've made. I get all of Citi's amazing purchase protections (that I was getting earlier too), but without the crappy points system (and even earning more now).

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one drawn in to that card from the website. Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 6
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I suggest calling the backdoor number for Citi and speak to someone there. They usually know what they are doing.

Backdoor Numbers

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, you can contact them via the number on the back of your card and ask for an account manager. Once they review your account, they can determine if it's eligible for the PC.
Message 5 of 6
Matt9543
Established Contributor

I'm glad to hear that it didn't end up being a hassle. I'm still quite new to this but thought it would be a good in, in a sense, to Citi. I had a better chance of applying for the student card and getting accepted than just straight applying for the Double Cash card and ending up using a HP and not getting a card out of it. I'll probably end up waiting until the end of my no APR period, as I'm afraid changing will remove that.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.