Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Visa Signature

tag
kyjd-2015
Established Member

Question about Visa Signature

I was recently approved for the Citi AA card with a limit of $2800.  I got my welcome letter today and it says that it is a Visa Signature.  I was under the impression that a Signature card required at least a $5000 limit.  Is this incorrect?

EQ-679 TU-721 EX-?

Citi Diamond Preferred ($1K) Cap One Venture ($2500) Discover IT ($4400) Chase Slate ($400) BofA Case Visa ($1000) CiTi AA ($2800)
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Question about Visa Signature

Usually but not always. If your bank says it is then I'm sure it is. Just like some CL at $5000 are not Visa Signature. I have a $10k Visa and its not a Signature- my CU doesn't have Signature Visa's.

Congrats
Message 2 of 15
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@kyjd-2015 wrote:

I was recently approved for the Citi AA card with a limit of $2800.  I got my welcome letter today and it says that it is a Visa Signature.  I was under the impression that a Signature card required at least a $5000 limit.  Is this incorrect?

I believe that's set by the issuer, and not Visa per se. There's no "requirement" by Visa.  Each issuer determines what their minimum criteria is for a Visa Signature card, and they may have different standards depending on where one's credit scores and other factors, lands them. 

Message 3 of 15
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@kyjd-2015 wrote:

I believe that's set by the issuer, and not Visa per se. There's no "requirement" by Visa.  Each issuer determines what their minimum criteria is for a Visa Signature card, and they may have different standards depending on where one's credit scores and other factors, lands them. 

Citi seems to be the only one that will give out Visa Signature cards with a CL below 5k.... maybe they have some kind of deal with Visa?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 15
andre181
Established Contributor

This is the same as my Citi ThankYou Preferred. It has a CL of $3500 but is a visa signature and is NPSL. 

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 5 of 15
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

My step dad has a BoA Visa Signature with a CL of $2,000 or so...I know this because he had me pay the bill for him online a few times...lol.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 6 of 15
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

@kyjd-2015 wrote:

Citi seems to be the only one that will give out Visa Signature cards with a CL below 5k.... maybe they have some kind of deal with Visa?

Visa signature cards earn Citi higher swipe fees from merchants. So it makes sense Citi would issue mostly signature cards to earn more money.

Message 7 of 15
HiLine
Blogger

@injustifiiable wrote:

My step dad has a BoA Visa Signature with a CL of $2,000 or so...I know this because he had me pay the bill for him online a few times...lol.

Interesting. This is the first time I've heard of this with BofA. Your stepdad must've got the card a while back! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
kyjd-2015
Established Member

Thanks, everyone.  Last question...what is the real difference between Visa and Visa signature?

EQ-679 TU-721 EX-?

Citi Diamond Preferred ($1K) Cap One Venture ($2500) Discover IT ($4400) Chase Slate ($400) BofA Case Visa ($1000) CiTi AA ($2800)
Message 9 of 15
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

@kyjd-2015 wrote:

Thanks, everyone.  Last question...what is the real difference between Visa and Visa signature?

concierge and no preset spending limit.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.