Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about WHEN to pay off a credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about WHEN to pay off a credit card

Since getting my first credit card a few years ago, I've followed the same pattern. I would spend between 10% and 30% of my credit limit at the beginning of the month and pay it off the very next day. Back when I did my initial bit of research and brainstorming, this was suggested to be a good method. After speaking with a banker recently, I heard that it's best to wait until receiving my bill, otherwise my bill will not reflect that there was ever any activity, which is important because the activity which is posted on the bill is what's reported and analyzed on my credit report. Can someone explain why this may be correct or incorrect? I'm looking at getting a couple more credit cards to beef up my credit limit and take advantage of some rewards programs, but I don't believe in adding to the toolbox until improving your craft. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Question about WHEN to pay off a credit card

Welcome to the forums.

The way credit card companies expect you to use your card is to use the card for purchases, let them send you the monthly statement (or you retrieve it online now) and then you pay the amount by the due date shown on the statement. If you want to carry a balance further, they will be happy to charge some interest, but the basic presumption is that you pay at least the minimum payment by the payment date on the statement.

Now, there are a number of people who don't think they want to leave anything on the card, they follow the pattern you describe of paying almost as soon as they get home, after swiping the card for a purchase. This is fine, except that if none of your credit cards shows any balance at all on any statement, you will have a lower FICO score than if just one of your cards is allowed to post a balance on a statement. It's one of the quirks of FICO scoring, something has to be on one of your revolver accounts for the algorithm to give you some extra points. Too many balances or too much overall debt does start to drag down the score again, but that doesn't sound like where you are headed.

So let the card report a balance, and if it is your only credit card, let it report a balance, even if just a small balance, each monthly statement. You won't be paying any interest as long as you pay that statement balance off by the due date.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since getting my first credit card a few years ago, I've followed the same pattern. I would spend between 10% and 30% of my credit limit at the beginning of the month and pay it off the very next day. Back when I did my initial bit of research and brainstorming, this was suggested to be a good method. After speaking with a banker recently, I heard that it's best to wait until receiving my bill, otherwise my bill will not reflect that there was ever any activity, which is important because the activity which is posted on the bill is what's reported and analyzed on my credit report. Can someone explain why this may be correct or incorrect? I'm looking at getting a couple more credit cards to beef up my credit limit and take advantage of some rewards programs, but I don't believe in adding to the toolbox until improving your craft. 

You were given incorrect advice; there's nothing wrong with paying it off ASAP.

The one exception is this: if all your cards report a zero balance in the statement, you will be losing some FICO points. So it's ok to have all cards with a zero statement balance, as long as one of them reports a small balance (less than 10% of the limit).

What the banker said about activity is baloney.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't expect the banker to give too much sound advice as he or she is main gig to make money off the very people who are slaves to the bank (i.e. interest). If I were you I'd continue doing what you are doing but adding valid points from those above me that for fico scoring, allow at least one card to report a small balance to not have any adverse effect on all the hard work you've done.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello OP. I allow mine to report a balance one month and then no balance the next. I still pay before i have to pay the interest. That shows the CRAs that I am using my cards. It works for me.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help, everyone. It looks like I will allow a small amount to be put on my bill and I will pay it off before its due date. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.