Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Wells Fargo

tag
jonblaze24
New Contributor

Question about Wells Fargo

About a 1.5 years ago I started banking with WF, noticed recently I have been getting a ton of the "pre-selected" offers for their Active Cash card. Not entirely necessary for me to pick up another card, but I do like having a CC with the company I bank with. 

Anyone have any input on WF and their starting limits? If anything, I would probably opt for their BT card to start paying down some of my debt, but my concern is a low SL. I'm at about 40% utilization right now, score is in the high 600's. Don't need anything crazy, but any SL under 7k i feel like would be a waste. 

Does banking with them help on the app? Have no problem holding off if my profile may not fit, just looking for some feedback on them and their process.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

Re: Question about Wells Fargo

Honestly being a wells fargo banking customes hurts you for their credit cards unless you have a lot of money in your checking and savings accounts. With a profile like yours i only got 2.5k and when i closed my accounts they upped my card to 7k

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 2 of 8
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

WF (through their merger partner First Interstate) since I was a mere kid..1987.

Had my primary checking and savings with them until 2017. In the couple years leading up to my 2017 BK, I was treading water and bounced a few checks to the point WF cancelled my Overdraft Protection.

I also had a WF CC from 2017 and IIB the card.

Prior to BK, I made BofA my primary bank. (Of course I declared every cent of my accounts to the trustee.)

Filed my 13 in April 2017.

Got my DC early in January 2021.

I assumed I was blacklisted by WF. BofA remains my primary bank. I have a couple thousand total in WF.

I applied in November 2022 for a WF BILT card. I assumed it would be a denial.

Instant approval for WF BILT with an SL of $30,000.

Go figure. 🤷🏽‍♂️

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 3 of 8
Alucard
New Contributor

Unfortunately Wells Fargo still has an asset cap from their checking scandal which hinders their ability to grow (and has cost them billions). It's my understanding this is why they are so selective in who they approve.I have a friend in their sales division and the one thing he said he sees consistently is that customers who have a relationship with them are approved more then those that don't. He's unsure if this is the deciding factor since they don't share their reasoning with anyone, but that's one thing he consistently sees. 

anyway good luck. 

Message 4 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

Honestly being a wells fargo banking customes hurts you for their credit cards unless you have a lot of money in your checking and savings accounts. With a profile like yours i only got 2.5k and when i closed my accounts they upped my card to 7k

Huh? Dont think this is true. With a BK. I walked in opened checking and walked out with a $4000 Active Cash Card. No savings.

Message 5 of 8
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

Huh? Dont think this is true. With a BK. I walked in opened checking and walked out with a $4000 Active Cash Card. No savings.

I think I had $43 in my checking account with WF when I applied for my AC card 4 days after a 13 discharge and was approved with a $3K limit, WF isn't my primary bank...so I know that isn't correct

Message 6 of 8
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

Been with WF for ~7 years. Decent (close to 6 figures) in my accounts with them. Approvals were a bit low, but close to my other limits at the time. I'd say banking with them helps, but not a lot. I know they used to be considered one of the more difficult banks (for cc's) to get approved for, but I think that's changed.

I wouldn't consider the offers any kind of guarantee. Did you try the pre-approval?

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Last Updated: 2023/11/09
Message 7 of 8
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Currently, I DD $600 into my WF checking and basically zero it out monthly.  

I have $39000 of exposure across my Propel and Autograph.  

Scores are > 740 and total utilizing is < 8%.

I do plan to move majority of my paycheck to my WF checking due to its Early Pay Day.  However, I have no expectations that this move will be an impetus for any Auto CLIs or will improve my odds for any subsequent apps...

You mentioned the Active Cash but are you also considering the Reflect as it seems to be the longest 0% BT WF offering?

PS, Here's the link for others to check:

WF pre selected credit cards 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.