Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about app'ing for new cards

tag
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Question about app'ing for new cards

So, I'm in the middle of my rebuild. I have paid all of my old CO accounts and I only have 2 CA left to pay. Since September 18th 2012, I've been able to raise my score 79 points.

So, this morning, my AU Cap1 account finally report and my utilization is 8% across 2 cards. I am on my 2nd statement with the Cap1 and will be hitting my 1st statement this weekend on my NFCU card.

My question or quandrum is this, how soon do I app for something else?

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about app'ing for new cards

How many cards do you have now?  If it's 2+ and the AU, just wait it out till you get to roughly 640 - that opens up a whole wealth of new options for cards which are solid.  If you have less than 2 of your own cards, then I'd recommend applying for something else likely in the secured range.

If you need something sooner which has a rewards package, BOFA's secured card is an excellent choice with FICO's still in the 500's as they now offer their reasonable 1-2-3 rewards package on it.  

        
Message 2 of 4
brother7
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

If you need something sooner which has a rewards package, BOFA's secured card is an excellent choice with FICO's still in the 500's as they now offer their reasonable 1-2-3 rewards package on it.  

I know someone who's in the same boat as OP. Is this the card you're recommending?

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/secured-credit-card.go

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 3 of 4
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Right now, my FICO on EQ is about 590, based on the last alert from this past weekend from myFico. I hoping for a nice bump soon. As for the mix of cards,

I have 2.

Cap1 - AU

NFCU - secured

Thanks in advance,

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.