Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Question about balance reported when statement cuts

Let's say I have a card with the following:

Limit: $1,000

Posted balance: $200

Pending Charges: $100

Available Credit: $700

If the statement cuts before those pending charges are finalized, will the reported balance be $200 or $300? It seems like it would make sense for the actual posted balance of $200 to be reported, since the pending charges could still change. I've never bothered to check on the timing for pending charges around the statement date though, so I'm not sure.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about balance reported when statement cuts

$200.  Whatever is printed on your bill is what is going to get reported (for most cards, some report end of month).

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

And the beauty of it is that if your statement cuts today, you can charge something today and you won't have to pay that bill until November's due date.  

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Razeus wrote:

And the beauty of it is that if your statement cuts today, you can charge something today and you won't have to pay that bill until November's due date.  

I plan some purchases to make use of this! 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.