Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about closing AMEX charge card

tag
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

Question about closing AMEX charge card

Guys, I have a question about closing TL. I'd like to close my charge card later some time next year. After closing the card, it know it would still on report say about 10 years, so after 10 years, will the overall year be reduced like 10+ years or just less than 1 year since I plan to keep this card less than 1 year. What I mean is, in other word, will the closed TL still age, say like 10 years, and then when it falls off, I got a hit of reduce like 10 year? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about closing AMEX charge card

The closed account will remain on your reports for a period of years.

When it drops off, you will lose the account age, and will have one less account factoring into your AAoA.

What this does to your AAoA at such a point depends on what other accounts you have.

The math here is pretty straightforward, and you can experiment with various scenarios.  For example, when an old account drops off, the hit will be larger if the other accounts are young ones.  On the other hand, if the other accounts are of similar age, the AAoA should not change much.

Message 2 of 4
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

The closed account will remain on your reports for a period of years.

When it drops off, you will lose the account age, and will have one less account factoring into your AAoA.

What this does to your AAoA at such a point depends on what other accounts you have.

The math here is pretty straightforward, and you can experiment with various scenarios.  For example, when an old account drops off, the hit will be larger if the other accounts are young ones.  On the other hand, if the other accounts are of similar age, the AAoA should not change much.

Thank you so much for your reply, maybe I am not clear with my question, what I really want to know is, the overall account age (NOT AAOA), will be deducted like the open period of my closed card, or open period plus on report pending time. In my case, is reduced account age like less than 1 year, or 1year plus pending delete years(like 10years).

Message 3 of 4
chwebb1
Established Contributor

The amount of time since the account was opened will be your account age, even if it's closed. So 11 years in your case when it falls off.
 photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.