Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about credit card income

tag
Ams81
New Visitor

Question about credit card income

Long time lurker first time poster, great form & I have gotten alot of great info. I just seen another poster in another thread ask about joint income. The last few years its been just my husbad working, he makes about 70k. I have a few credit cards, just not any in a few years. I didnt think, I could apply for any, since I dont have an income. Since we file joint, its ok to use his income? My credit scores are not bad, close to the 700s but his are not so good. We would like to get a good ballance transfer CC like Discover or slate. Any recommendations ? Thats if, its ok to use his income. Thanks alot, Amy.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Ams81
New Visitor

Re: Question about credit card income

Also I have  an Amex since 05, PIF. Is it true you can appy for like a green charge card &  delta gold in same day only get 1 EX pull?

Message 2 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum and out from lurking 

Yes you can use HHI

Amex has good cards but you may find better BT cards as in Slate, Citi simplicity

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 15
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

@Ams81 wrote:

Long time lurker first time poster, great form & I have gotten alot of great info. I just seen another poster in another thread ask about joint income. The last few years its been just my husbad working, he makes about 70k. I have a few credit cards, just not any in a few years. I didnt think, I could apply for any, since I dont have an income. Since we file joint, its ok to use his income? My credit scores are not bad, close to the 700s but his are not so good. We would like to get a good ballance transfer CC like Discover or slate. Any recommendations ? Thats if, its ok to use his income. Thanks alot, Amy.

Yes, the CARD act of 2009 allows for spouses to put each others income on applications. You should be fine using it.

760 (TU) 755 (EX) 740 (EQ)

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 4 of 15
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Some applications do specify that they are asking for PERSONAL income.  Many that do make this distinction provide a space for you to include "other" income where you could list your spouces.  I always use household income on apps where personal income isn't specifically asked for.  You just need to be careful about how you go about it in some cases.

Message 5 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@wacdenney wrote:

Some applications do specify that they are asking for PERSONAL income.  Many that do make this distinction provide a space for you to include "other" income where you could list your spouces.  I always use household income on apps where personal income isn't specifically asked for.  You just need to be careful about how you go about it in some cases.

Correct.  Keep in mind the CARD Act allows lenders to consider HHI; they are not required to do so. 

Message 6 of 15
withaspark
Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, the CARD Act was interpretted to have forbadden the use of HHI.

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/22/153283424/do-credit-card-laws-not-value-homemakers

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2012/04/19/the-war-on-women-why-stay-at-home-moms-need-...

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2013/01/16/financial-rules-for-stay-at-home-spouses/

This was only corrected April 2013.

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/credit-eased-for-stay-at-home-spouses-and-partners/?_php=t...

http://boardingarea.com/mommypoints/2013/05/24/stay-at-home-parents-still-having-trouble-getting-car...

So from 2009 until April 2013, lenders needed personal income...no one should have supplied HHI, especially when the apps requested personal income explicitly. However, today, the provisions only apply to those under 21 years old. Otherwise, those over 21 may include any income to which they have a reasonable expectation of access...i.e., my wife could take any amount of money out of the checking account my paycheck is direct deposited into at any time--therefore, it is her income for the basis of repayment of any credit she applies for.

Hey, if lenders count housing payments against couples twice, shouldn't income be counted twice?? (what a mess) Oh well, it certainly wasn't fair to prevent my stay-at-home-mom wife from getting credit when repayments of "her" debt is just as big of a priority as "mine".

Message 7 of 15
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

Since this thread is fairly recent, I'm hoping to chime in and hopefully get some insight.

I can see that laws have been changed/added/removed/etc to make it easier for stay-at-home wives/husbands/partners to apply for credit. But what about couples that aren't married? My boyfriend and I have been together 3 years, living in an apartment together for over two. Would the same apply for me if I applied for a secured credit card? Would I be able to apply using HHI? I'm hoping to apply for the BofA secured soon, and it looks like I might have a good chance with that, but since we're not married, I'm not sure. Although, we do live in a community property state. Would that weigh at all when using his income?

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 8 of 15
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@xaiduz114 wrote:

Since this thread is fairly recent, I'm hoping to chime in and hopefully get some insight.

I can see that laws have been changed/added/removed/etc to make it easier for stay-at-home wives/husbands/partners to apply for credit. But what about couples that aren't married? My boyfriend and I have been together 3 years, living in an apartment together for over two. Would the same apply for me if I applied for a secured credit card? Would I be able to apply using HHI? I'm hoping to apply for the BofA secured soon, and it looks like I might have a good chance with that, but since we're not married, I'm not sure. Although, we do live in a community property state. Would that weigh at all when using his income?

That's more grey area. It was altered to make it easier for stay at home spouses to get credit, since many were great candidates but would be denied due to no income. I have clairfied with AMEX and Barclay before and they both said (paraphrasing) "Income that you have a reasonable expectation of access to that you want to be included as a basis for repaying your debt".

Message 9 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@xaiduz114 wrote:

IMO I would not be using HHI in this case, you are not married, community property comes into play when one is officially married or is considered to be so by common law (some states allow this after x years).

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.