cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about freedom & CSP conversion to MC.

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Question about freedom & CSP conversion to MC.

I understand the freedom and CSP is not offered as world elite MC, but just curious if I do want to have the card switched over from visa. Will the original Visa card still work for people whom have converted? Has anyone who had the account for under 1 year managed to get switched over?

Thanks
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about freedom & CSP conversion to MC.

I've read some posts saying that the VISA was still useable. Chase just tacks on a MasterCard credit number to the account. I assume in this scenario that you would be able to use the VISA card until the expiration date.

As for the second question, I imagine Chase would be very accommodating if you need a MasterCard conversion regardless of the account age.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 2 of 12
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Why is the CSP not offered as a world elite card? Isn't that Chase's premier card?

Message 3 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

@Laugh, Thanks a lot for the reply!

@gatorguy, it just isn't.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I converted the Freedom after two or three months through the messaging system. It took about three days for me to see a new online account and a few more days for the MasterCard to arrive. The Visa account stayed for about one more month and they told me once the account drops from online the card is no longer valid.
Message 5 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

@navigate, did you try using the visa at all after 1 month? Just want to see if I can keep both variations lol.
Message 6 of 12
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:
I converted the Freedom after two or three months through the messaging system. It took about three days for me to see a new online account and a few more days for the MasterCard to arrive. The Visa account stayed for about one more month and they told me once the account drops from online the card is no longer valid.

Likewise, when I opened up a Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card about 6 months back, it was originally issued as a Visa.  I called to have the card converted to a MasterCard and about a few days later the MasterCard account showed up online.  Then about a month or two later the Visa account disappeared.  I never tried using the Visa after its online account disappeared but I would imagine that once it is closed...you can no longer use it.

I am not sure if you can stipulate that you would like to keep a Visa card open while having a MasterCard open on the same account...it might be best to call Chase and ask.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 7 of 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
@navigate, did you try using the visa at all after 1 month? Just want to see if I can keep both variations lol.

I didn't want to risk getting declined lol, so no.

Message 8 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@GeneralCucumbre wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Likewise, when I opened up a Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card about 6 months back, it was originally issued as a Visa.  I called to have the card converted to a MasterCard and about a few days later the MasterCard account showed up online.  Then about a month or two later the Visa account disappeared.  I never tried using the Visa after its online account disappeared but I would imagine that once it is closed...you can no longer use it.

I am not sure if you can stipulate that you would like to keep a Visa card open while having a MasterCard open on the same account...it might be best to call Chase and ask.

The only time one would have the duality for using both the Visa and MasterCard is if both CCV codes match.  Usually, their systems update within a month to sync up their internal reporting and any data migration to the current card product along with external reporting to the CRAs.  Of course, that's not to say that something can slip through the "system" cracks, but it's a rare occurrence where you can have this type of duality linked to only 1 TL.

Message 9 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

Ah I see. Thanks a lot!

By the way, did the United card get converted to a World MC as well? Or is it a regular Plat MC?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.