Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about how AMEX reports and paying before statement cut

tag
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Question about how AMEX reports and paying before statement cut

I have had only two statement cut and both times it is reporting as high balance: NA, Recent balance :0 and Recent Payment :0. I have not put alot on it but have paid the balance before the statement cuts.The first month I charged like $40 bucks and PIF and the second about $240 and PIF...before the statement cuts. Is this normal for them to report it like this? It looks like I never used the card with how it is reported.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about how AMEX reports and paying before statement cut

why are you paying before the statement cuts?

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 2 of 5
calihlove75
Established Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

Since it is a small limit, I was trying to keep things optimal until I requested my cli at 60 days. I pay most of my cards before the statement,  but the payment I make gets reported. Now I am not sure about requesting the cli. Hopefully Amex knows I have used the card..lol.  Who knows, I was just wondering if others pay in full before the statement and have it reported this way.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 3 of 5
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@calihlove75 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

Since it is a small limit, I was trying to keep things optimal until I requested my cli at 60 days. I pay most of my cards before the statement,  but the payment I make gets reported. Now I am not sure about requesting the cli. Hopefully Amex knows I have used the card..lol.  Who knows, I was just wondering if others pay in full before the statement and have it reported this way.

Not all banks report payments in addition to closing balances and for the ones that do only EX reports the additional info. It's a fairly recent thing and there's a good chance a creditor is viewing history based on the reporting commonality in all the CRAs/creditors and that wouldn't include payments.

I always pif but let balances report so potentlal new creditors will see that I use credit and that I have a high "FICO capacity index." I will prepay most cards just prior to an app to optimize FICO but otherwise I let them report.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 4 of 5
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

AMEX is fairly old school.... just use their card heavily and PIF before the due date and you will do well... 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.