cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about maximum credit limits and documentation.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about maximum credit limits and documentation.

So its my understanding that on AMEX cards that if you go over 25k credit limit, they will request documentation of your tax return.

Is this correct, and what is the top limit for other cards before they do this?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Question about maximum credit limits and documentation.

Request what you want. If it ask for income verification, lower your request in small increments until it is an instant approval. If it gives you a 7 to 10 message from the start. Chances are you don't qualify for a increase at the present time. As always your mileage may vary. This has been my experience with CLI request.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, there is no hard limit on when a lender, including Amex will ask for income verification. I have seen people go over $30k with Amex without having to provide proof of income. There are several factors that will be taken into consideration to determine when a lender will request the documents.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a myth thus, requesting tax return for anything above 25k. All the people who responded above are correct.

Message 4 of 19
Luscher
Valued Contributor

I am over 25K and was never asked for docs
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 5 of 19
Marcos8
Established Contributor

I made a request the other day on my BCP from 27 to 35k. Received the income verification prompt. Logged out and back in and requested 32k and received instant approval. 

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

*2.1k amex modest cli

made my only amex card to a nice round 30k limit yesterday (181+ days since initial 3x cli; $9.3k SL). No FR!

*the 27.9k number/limit was bugging me. lol

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

*2.1k amex modest cli

made my only amex card to a nice round 30k limit yesterday (181+ days since initial 3x cli; $9.3k SL). No FR!

Income verification and financial review are not the same thing.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

*2.1k amex modest cli

Income verification and financial review are not the same thing.

thanks for the clarification. i guess what i meant is there was no docs requested when i did my cli to 30k.

sorry, im naive to these things as ive never encountered them. i dont know the distinctions.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is so bad about income verification?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.